Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball within a ball

Very impressive work Brian! The problem with these types of turnings - for me - is that you have to be able to envision what it is you want to create BEFORE you start turning! Heck - I am always thrilled to successfully turn a hollow form! Can't imagine the level of layout one of these pieces would take!

Glad you enjoy this type of turning! Seriously - looking forward to seeing your next version!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

This whole thread is depressing and makes me want to turn my turning tools into fire pokers, and the handles into firewood, where they can serve some useful purpose.

3. There is a man in Monticello, Georgia that, can do this with a chain saw.

There is a DVD for David Springett's Woodturning Wizardry as well as the book. (It's becoming hard to find these days though.) Segments of the DVD are on youtube. That is probably what you saw. You did pretty well for just using a bent allen wrench. These fall into the general category of Chinese balls. They require a lot of precision, and a lot of tool making. Note that, as I recently discovered, the set of Springett tools available from a few suppliers works for the Chinese ball (5 balls within one another) in Springett's book (as long as you use his exact dimensions), but they do NOT work for his other designs. In order to do this work, you need to be able to fabricate and temper a number of precise tools, as well as building a variety of chucks and jigs. It's a lot of work before you even get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weaver View Post
    Several weeks ago someone posted a link to a video showing sphere's that this gentleman had turned, and he had turned a ball within a ball. Several of them had finials connected to the inner ball and protruded out through the outer ball. There were even some pictures of the process he used to achieve this. These were awesome turnings, but I watched the video once and then could never find it again. The challenge for our club this month is "sphere's" so I thought I would do what I could from memory sans the finials. The result is below. It's birch and about 4" round the inner ball is still connected in a couple spots because I liked the look of it still being suspended. The inner ball is also pretty rough but I am still happy with it for a first, considering the only hollowing tool I have is a bent and ground allen wrench. If anyone knows the video I am talking about and has a link I would sure appreciate it. C&C always welcome.

Attachment 173651Attachment 173652
    Brian if you go to the link here it will you show some of the tools that are used, I know Fred was using some kind of wax plugs, I don't recall the exact things about it as when Fred was asking on the rec crafts woodturning forum about this and that is some years ago.
    The tools with the hooks on them stay on the outside of the ball and the hook (witch can be adjusted for the specific depth) then cuts the area under and around the opening far enough that when this is done by all holes, the inside ball will be loose, I think that was where he needed the wax for, to keep that ball in place, but like I said it is to long ago and I wasn't really interested in pursuing this, so it is pretty vague now, I know Fred has a book and dvd also I think, that certainly would help you.

http://www.centralfloridawoodturners.../march2009.pdf
    Have fun and take care

I found a Tutorial (in Swedish) on how to make a Chinese Ball.

Thanks again everybody for the great reply's! Now that there have been some names tossed out there I have found quite a bit more info. While I was making the ball I was telling myself that I would not make another one but I am already thinking about how to do the next one. I may have to brush up on my Swedish for that one Bill about all I know is what I learned from The Muppet Show!!

i probably not make one, but....

Woodturning Wizardry : David Springett (Paperback, 1993)

Seller: timdogood (4187) Ships from: durham, NC

Condition: Like New Notes: comes from a non-smoking home
    Price: $2.99Media Mail:$3.49Subtotal:
    $6.48

the next book was priced at over $25, add to collection, what sold me was that it was a non-smoking home
    Merchandise:
    Shipping:

TOTAL:$2.99
    $3.49

$6.48

Wally, thanks for posting that PDF file link. After seeing the custom tools and reading that article, the process makes a lot more sense NOW! Good thing you cant buy a set of those tools at Woodcraft, or I might "need" them!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hackler View Post
    Good thing you cant buy a set of those tools at Woodcraft, or I might "need" them!
    Scott, I think you can order them @ Packard, if you get the urge!
    mj

A couple of guys said they have a vague idea how you did this...WELL, I DON'T!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    A couple of guys said they have a vague idea how you did this...WELL, I DON'T!
    Hi Richard, I only took a couple pics when I first started and remember this is just my ham fisted approach, this isn't how the big boys do it. I also took a couple pics of my hollowing tool. I just rotated the ball from hole to hole trying to keep the inner ball as round as possible. As a side note I use a pick up wheel (my term for them) out of a VCR as a tenon for my face plates. They are the perfect size, they don't crush so your always trued up and they already have holes drilled in them. I pick this idea up on the internet somewhere and did a little dumpster diving. I have several now and they work great.

Picture 016 (Large).jpgPicture 015 (Large) (2).jpgPicture 023 (Large).jpgPicture 024 (Large).jpg

That is just cool. Would like to see the full process how that was done.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Brian if you did your ball with that tool instead of the speial tools designed for this .... well I am even more impressed! I really need to take the time to make a dounut chuck.
    -------
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Michael James View Post
    Scott, I think you can order them @ Packard, if you get the urge!
    mj
    lalalalalalal I cant hear you!!!!
    -------
    -------