Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Drift Problems with Resaw King

Bill, you're right. I should've come to the conclusion before wasting three hoursand running through a bunch of sticking trying to get something good last night when I should really have been woodworking!

I found a taker for the blade, someone else into self torture like me. And you're exactly right about my previous quote - resawing with everything else, even the dull junky stock blade that left an ugly finish - has been uneventful. So you'd figure just ripping/sawing down rough 4/4 would be a walk in the park.

Just to add another data point to this thread (I know it's old)...

I actually only recently began using the Resaw King blades that I got from Laguna via the SMC Deals. These blades are 6 years old but I'm only getting around to using them now. Like David, no matter what I do, these things won't cut straight. I've tried all manner of tracking, adjusting the fence for drift, etc. but somehow, after 3-4" into the cut, this thing just will NOT cut straight. It always drifts badly to the left. I was actually beginning to suspect that maybe the teeth on this thing were ground incorrectly but I have no way to test for that. Maybe Laguna had a bad batch around 2010?

Going back to a plain old Tufftooth blade seems to be okay. Whodathunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlton Wang View Post
    ...no matter what I do, these things won't cut straight. I've tried all manner of tracking, adjusting the fence for drift, etc. but somehow, after 3-4" into the cut, this thing just will NOT cut straight. It always drifts badly to the left...
    Inadequate blade tension is my gut reaction.

Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik
    Hm...I'm already near the max indicator on the LT16-3000. I worry about going completely fully to max knowing well that this isn't an LT16HD.

Thanks,
    Charlton

If someone wants to send me their "horrible" RK blade, I'd like to try it out on my band saw and see what all the fuss is about. My Diemaster2 is still going strong and just about the only blade I use anymore. And Eric, since the dated posting in this thread, I have actually been to David Marks' shop (taking classes) and did verify this is indeed the blade he has on his big blue (Delta) band saw.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

BTW, I'm sad to hear you've left SCM (or maybe I should be happy that you're moving on). Certainly your departure would be a strike to the appeal of Minimax. I'm considering the S400p but never heard back from SCM here in Toronto. :P

All the best.

If your bandsaw can take a 132" blade and if I visit the Bay Area sometime, I'll bring it to you.

Charlton

Just to add another data point to this thread (I know it's old)...

I actually only recently began using the Resaw King blades that I got from Laguna via the SMC Deals. These blades are 6 years old but I'm only getting around to using them now. Like David, no matter what I do, these things won't cut straight. I've tried all manner of tracking, adjusting the fence for drift, etc. but somehow, after 3-4" into the cut, this thing just will NOT cut straight. It always drifts badly to the left. I was actually beginning to suspect that maybe the teeth on this thing were ground incorrectly but I have no way to test for that. Maybe Laguna had a bad batch around 2010?

Going back to a plain old Tufftooth blade seems to be okay. Whodathunk?
    Hi Charlton,I wonder if your blades are Stellite tipped.Anyways they probably are not sharpened correctly.
    I have a R k blade the current C4 carbide tip and it cuts great smoother then a new Woodmaster ct but slower.
    I also liked the stellite tipped blades they were awesome.
    I think you know what you should do.

Aj

Hey Aj,

They are Stellite for sure. I remember that when I got them, there was a lot of "debate" because it seemed as though Laguna was implying that they were carbide-tipped but people were calling them out on that. I wasn't even aware that RK blades now come with C4 carbide. Perhaps that addresses the longevity issue that many people seemed to levy against the blade.

Cheers,
    Charlton

If your bandsaw can take a 132" blade and if I visit the Bay Area sometime, I'll bring it to you.

Charlton
    Ah, yes...good point! I have an MM20...168" (+/- something I can't remember) is what mine takes.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post

Erik
    I'm embarrassed to report back here but...

I cranked the tension to basically as high as it would go and the bandsaw didn't buckle. This seems to have improved things rather dramatically though I haven't had a chance to do any rigorous testing. I guess that whole "deflection of 1/4" at 6" down from 9:00 of the wheel" doesn't always work. My bandsaw has no blade width markers on the gauge so it's pretty much just a guessing game. I somehow missed the post from Andrew Joiner where he suggested cranking the tension up...

Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

Charlton

David,

If your saw is cutting OK with your other blades, and you think you know how to adjust a blade, then most likely you do know how to adjust a blade. Therefore, its probably not your saw and its probably not you. That leaves the blade. From what you describe -- it cuts at a sharp angle -- the set of the teeth is probably not symmetrical. I have had that problem with Laguna blades (not the Resaw King). The blade I ordered with my 14/12 when it was new did that. Since I had no experience with the saw I did not know what was wrong and chased my tail for quite a while. Then I got another blade and presto! no more drift. You already know that the saw cuts straight with other blades.

You could check the position of the blade on the wheel and check the co-planarity of the wheels but in all likelihood it's the set of the blade.

Doug

I'm embarrassed to report back here but...

I cranked the tension to basically as high as it would go and the bandsaw didn't buckle. This seems to have improved things rather dramatically though I haven't had a chance to do any rigorous testing. I guess that whole "deflection of 1/4" at 6" down from 9:00 of the wheel" doesn't always work. My bandsaw has no blade width markers on the gauge so it's pretty much just a guessing game. I somehow missed the post from Andrew Joiner where he suggested cranking the tension up...

Thanks for the help/advice everyone.

Charlton
    No reason to be embarrassed it is comon among hobbyists to under-tension blades, especially carbide blades. Further, many of the shortcuts to tensioning blades are based on small Delta 14" saws and their clones along with carbon steel blades, it is a shortcut since we should actually be using a strain gauage and setting it correctly (or as close as a particular saw will get, and optimally never using a blade a particular saw can't tension properly). Yes strain gauges can be expensive but most everyone has some small clamps and a set of caplipers. Google homemade bandsaw tension gauge and enter the world of Young's modulus and the linear elastic properties of steel.

Bandsaws should NOT come with width indications on the tension scale, it is useless, and steers one wrong more often than right. It should only be used to record and re-tension a specific type/size of blade not to determine the correct tension. Consider two 1/2" blades, one a carbon blade and one a carbide blade. The carbide blade may have a significantly larger cross section as well and needing nearly twice the actual tension so the difference on the bandsaw tension scale for those two blades may be vastly different when they are tensioned correctly. Now with time you can develop a touch that gets you very close BUT you can't read about that touch on a forum, in a book or even watch a video and get it right, you have to physically push on a accurately tensioned blade many times to develop this feel. If you don;t run a bandsaw everyday they make (or you can make) strain gauges.

People have all sorts of issues with bandsaws and like anything else you have to eliminate one variable at a time, especially with bi-metal and carbide blades tension is usually a good place to start but until one is able to get a good approximation of the actual tension on the blade it is just a crap shoot.

This issue has become more of a problem in the last decade or so since smaller lighter bandsaws are being built with serious resaw height, significant power boosts and carbide blades are being made with more flexible and thinner backers so that they can run on these saws. Add to this tensionning methods left over from long before these changes are still being repeated, yeah they worked for someone for 50 years but it is a new game now.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    David,

If your saw is cutting OK with your other blades, and you think you know how to adjust a blade, then most likely you do know how to adjust a blade. Therefore, its probably not your saw and its probably not you. That leaves the blade. From what you describe -- it cuts at a sharp angle -- the set of the teeth is probably not symmetrical. I have had that problem with Laguna blades (not the Resaw King). The blade I ordered with my 14/12 when it was new did that. Since I had no experience with the saw I did not know what was wrong and chased my tail for quite a while. Then I got another blade and presto! no more drift. You already know that the saw cuts straight with other blades.

You could check the position of the blade on the wheel and check the co-planarity of the wheels but in all likelihood it's the set of the blade.

Doug
    First the RK doesn't have a set, though it can be ground incorrectly and that has happened. However, more often than not it is a lack of tension which will let the blade wander and barrel in the cut. The problem is even if someone thinks they know how to adjust a saw unless they have objectively tested the tension or have a very good finger you likely don;t have the correct tension. If someone has other blades that cut straight it still may be a tension issue since blades take different absolute pressues to have the same tension. In the end there can still be user error unless the tension is accurately tested and the saw can provide enough absolute pressure for the particular blade, until those factors are ruled out you are still guessing about the accuracy of the grind on a carbide tipped bandsaw blade.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

When you start using $150-200 blades, it pays to find an objective way to measure tension and experiment with what the blade prefers and what the saw will deliver. The RK has a thinner band than the Trimaster so it tensions more easily but also needs that tension to excel. I run my 1" Trimasters at 25000-30000 as that is the sweet spot for my saw. Every saw has its quirks and you will find that even relying on the machine gauge position is problematic and only approximate. I have saws in two locations so I verify my gauges against each other for both the numbers and the repeatibility.DSC04306.jpg Dave