Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EZ Smart Guide System...

EZ Smart Guide System...

Any thoughts on the "EZ Smart Guide System" -

With the Smart Router System?

With the Smart Top system?

www.hartvilletool.com/product/11769

Phil Winn

I just bought the system off ebay. Dino is the man!

If you want to see a very long and interesting discussion list...here's the list of them after a search. Be prepared for some opinions...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?
    Last edited by Glenn Clabo; 01-04-2005 at 4:20 AM.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Morning Phil

I have the SmartGuide with the router system as well, and can't rave about them both highly enough. It's one of those tools that makes me smile every time I use it. As mentioned, there's a long history of discussion here and elsewhere, but you can also check out their Ebay Feedback rating which I believe is around 100% positive. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Best wishes,
    Paul

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    The SMC Archives are full of info on this system - Simply use the Search Feature
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Got one. Like it. Very handy to use, especially on the job site where a table saw is a pita to haul around.

Phil, got one, love it, use it a LOT! In fact the table is setup in my shop probably 90% of the time. Besides being great for use with the rails, it's also nice for doing stain/finish on, because you can lay large pieces on it and then move them off while still wet, by picking the piece up very easily in between the rails. Use the system a whole lot for "shooting" a straight edge on a rough board before going through the joint/plane milling process. Great time saver. You wouldn't be disappointed!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

If I must also purchase a

saw, how do the Festool and this system compare?

I already own a Festool vac and 150 ROS, and find that their
    products are well made, but still very-very expensive.

Do these systems work better with a saw or what about using a PC690LR or PC7518 (I own both)?

If the EZ Smart Guide system is the best, where is the best place to
    purchase it?

Thanks,
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Winn
    saw, how do the Festool and this system compare?
    I hope you watched Monty Python's "Life of Brian" and know what happened to the guy who said Jehova.

Regards,

Christian
    Last edited by Christian Aufreiter; 01-05-2005 at 8:41 AM. Reason: I misspelled "Brian":-(
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Phil...Please see Ken Salisbury (and my) post above. And like I said...be prepared.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Christian? Are you comparing the SmartGuide to a halibut?

Phil, I'm an unabashed fan of the entire Eureka system (as you will see if you search the archives here). I've used both a 50 dollar Ryobi and a PC 325 Mag on mine with blades ranging from PC Framer blade to a pricey Freud. In my experience you'll get an unbelievable cut with anything you can mount on it. I purchased mine directly from the Eurekazone Ebay listings, often they have specials running.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to try and help. Christian can be in charge of the halibut

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Berendsohn; 01-05-2005 at 8:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    I hope you watched Monty Python's "Life of Bryan" and know what happened to the guy who said Jehova.

Regards,

Christian
    Christian, that's a great way to warn Phil about the "can of worms" that he might be opening up. Phil, search the SMS archives to see what I mean. Festool/Eureka comparison has been a very hot and sometimes emotional topic.

By the way, "Life of Brian" is my favourite movie ever.
    Last edited by Frank Pellow; 01-05-2005 at 8:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Christian, that's a great way to warn Phil about the "can of worms" that he might be opening up. Phil, search the SMS archives to see what I mean. Festool/Eureka comparison has been a very hot and sometimes emotional topic.

By the way, "Life of Brian" is my favourite movie ever.
    Thanks, Frank.
    Also thanks for generously overlooking my inability of spelling "Brian" correctly. I corrected this mistake in my initial post.
    BTW, IMO Monty Python and the Holy Grail is a great film, too.
    There are some interesting and funny Monty Python websites you might like to check out. But I don't know the URLs and I don't want to hijack this thread.
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Good Morning folks....Let's continue to keep this in line. Phil, I will be sending you a PM later today. Let's please keep the lid on this can-o-worms.

Both systems have merit and both systems are guiderails and they both cut whatever you put under them. It all boils down to personal preference and the depth of you wallet.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Hey there Dennis, Nice to see you.

With all due respect to the hushed voices and veiled warnings, is this really a subject that can't be addressed in an adult manner? In another thread recently, as soon as a few folks piped up that they were Eureka fans it was as though a bucket of cold water got tossed on the thread. I wonder if the reaction would have been the same if they had written lovingly about another brand? I think Phil got the point that this is a hot button for some folks here. That being said, let the poor guy ask what he needs to... just my humble opinion of course.

... after getting showered in another thread, I'll try this one (especially since this fully on topic). It's amazing how some people treat a decloaking newbie!

I've been using the EZ Smart System (Smart Table and Smart Guide) for about the last 2 months. I had the pleasure of meeting Dino at his shop and getting the full test drive with him right there.

One of the best features (besides price) of the "system" is the Smart Table. It is so flexible that I use it all the time for cutting any piece of wood where I don't want to take it to the TS. I also use it (as others do) for clampups, routing, face frame pocket screws (since the face frame clamp can sit between the rails and the whole face frame is level).

You're only limited by the applications you can think of for it.

The rails work well with just about any saw and the antichip edges on the rails and the saw plate work quite nicely. I've cut 1/4 ply with virtually no chipout.

All in all, this was one of the better purchases I've made for my little, but growing, shop.

Did I mention the reasonable price?