Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How Closely do Jointed Edges Have to Fit?

I think I'm going to give up and make a sled that fits in both miter slots. It will be big and awkward, but it ought to get the job done. Either that, or I'll tape the slabs to MDF. That's a much better idea than anything I came up with. I keep forgetting double-sided tape exists.

The sandpaper idea sounds interesting, but my wild guess is that I would have to attach it with double-sided tape, and the tape would have so much give, it would mess up the whole effort. Am I wrong? That's how I picture it in my head.

Someone was telling me to get a drum sander. I'll bet this job would be perfect for that machine. Is it possible to do this kind of work on those cheap disk sanders that have belts and little tables?

I fiddled around with my plane on some scrap tonight, and I used it to take the major peaks off the back side of the walnut. My hat is off to anyone who can do quality work with one of those things.

I long for the day I can chuck stuff like this on the jointer.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.

A few dabs of hot melt glue can be more stable than double sided tape. Easy to knock the MDF off after you're done running it through the table saw, too.

I can't believe I don't have a hot glue gun. I better fix that.

Sandpaper will always leave an inadequate joint. The best way is by jointing it with a plane. First, though, you can get within less than .001" by ripping in on a table saw. Clamp a fence to the raw side as a guide along the TS fence. Assuming the faces are finished / parallel, TURN the 2nd board over and rip it. The angles will complement each other and the face will come out as one plane. To get them to align during glue up, you need two dowels or a spline. It doesn't have to be large, but the two pieces are guaranteed to slide around when you glue them.
    Hand workers make this joint in seconds with a shooting board and a plane. You can make a temporary shooting board in 15 seconds: lay a 3/4" piece of lumber with parallel faces ( mdf ) on an MDF back board. If you search "shooting board" on the web, you'll quickly see how this works. Take a fine shaving. An almost imperceptible hollow along the length of the joint is what you want. You can generally clamp a joint like this with a single clamp in the middle. The clamp springs the tiny hollow shut. Most joints of this kind are done this way because the ends dry and shrink faster than the middle. This way, the joint won't pull apart in later years.
    And I am of the other camp. My first musical instrument I built with an exacto knife. I used a couple heavy chairs for clamps. You will converge on making fine instruments more quickly if you give yourself some experience. There's a gap between where you are now and where you need to be to make fine instruments. Reading will help some, but there's no substitute for actual game time.

Another way to skin this cat is to glue the blanks together as they are now - edge to edge.

once it's pretty dry, rip the joint down the line on the tablesaw against yr rip fence. If you're 'pretty close' already, the glu line will be completely ripped, and you'll have perfectly complimentary pieces that should fit together even better.

I would, though use a blade that leaves as few scoring marks as possible unless you have a reliable way to remove them.

BTW, HD has their 6" jointers on sale in some places. Probably the wisest $250 I've spent in the last coupla yrs...

Blog Entries
    If I had .010 gap in the end of a board, I would joint it again and not force the joint together, even in a piece of furniture. Springing a joint is a recipe for failure down the road. Ten minutes to fix the problem now several hours to fix it later, it's your choice.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Steve - I'm kind of surprised that no one here has mentioned the use of a hand plane for tuning up jointed edges. They're quick, not too difficult and surprisingly accurate with a little practice. For tweaking an edge by 0.001-0.002 like you're discussing, they're ideal.

Just another opinion.

Have fun with your project.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Steve H Graham View Post
    I think I'm going to give up and make a sled that fits in both miter slots..........Either that, or I'll tape the slabs to MDF............
    1] double-faced tape will work fine. You can also screw the slabs to the MDF. There are areas in the raw slabs that will be gone when your project is done [ends, edges, maybe even routed out areas for pickups, controls, ???], and you can screw into there.
    2] A sled that fits in both miter slots is more difficult that it needs to be. Getting one runner in place is not a problem, but getting two of them dead-nuts aligned to parallel with each other and the blade can be frustrating. Just take the time to get a precision width on the runner, so it doesn't wobble - use hardwood [and wax it] or UHMW.

Attach the runner, and run the jig through the TS to cut an edge. This edge becomes your cut reference line. Then, if you put some tee-track into the top surface [perpendicular to the runner/miter slot/blade], you can use destaco cam-clamps or the Rockler Deluxe Hold Down Clamps to secure the slab. You just use your fingers to "feel" the slab's overhang along the reference edge, clamp it, and go. This gives you a sled for ripping a straight edge that is adjustable for different widths. That's the way I handle it - I have a "sled" that is 8' x 18" with Destaco clamps in 4 positions. It's a one-trick pony, but it's a real nice pony to have with long, rough lumber.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I got myself a 2 x 4 sheet of 1/2" MDF and a glue gun. We'll see if I succeed!

Okay, I bought MDF and some tape and a glue gun. I decided to try the tape approach, largely because Home Depot was out of hot glue sticks.

I cut a 2'-long strip off one end of the MDF, labeled both sides "Factory Edge" in order to ward off the obvious senility-related mistake, and taped a piece of quasi-jointed scrap to the MDF. By "quasi-jointed, I mean I ran it through the table saw to smooth both sides a little. I ran the scrap through the table saw and put it on my granite dining room table, and it appeared to be stable.

I followed up by doing the walnut guitar slabs. I tried to check the perpendicularity of the blade with a 6" machinist's square, but it was impossible. I admit, I didn't try very long, but the teeth and the worn throat plate caused problems, and I decided to flip the second piece of walnut when I jointed it, so it would have an angular error complementing the error on the first piece.

I set the slabs up so something like 1/16" (probably less) came off the sides when I ran them through the machine. When I clamped them together, I was unable to get a 0.002" feeler between them anywhere, and the joint looked great. If you get your face right down on it and use good glasses, it seems like there may be a microscopic visible line, but I think I've gotten the best result possible with my negligible skill set and inappropriate tools.

Now I'll have to start a long annoying thread on gluing slabs together.

Thanks for all the help. Maybe I should cancel that jointer order! The money I spent on the jointer would buy a lot of MDF and tape.

What Prashun said ...

I've done that, sort of, with slabs on sawhorses and a circular saw. Just keep sliding them against each other and adjusting the straight edge until they clean up completely.

My experience with trying to shave an edge on a table saw is that the blade will deflect slightly and generate a crowned edge. It'll be square at the start, and then lean over a bit. Cutting on 'both sides' of the blade fixes this ... hopefully.

As for sanding, over a thickness this big I wouldn't be concerned about loss of joint strength from a sanded surface. Self adhesive paper (the gold stuff from Stewart-McDonald, hint hint) on your table saw should work fine. A little tip, don't push-pull-push-pull on it. Go one way, probably push is more comfortable, and then lift, return, and repeat. I think the drag of the paper tends to wear the 'front' portion of the face more, resulting in a slight crown if you push-pull.

A bit hollow is better than crowned, as noted. But on a slab this thick, wide, and short, it'll be harder to pull together with clamps than a 1" thick table top 5 feet long. So go for as dead straight as you can. As opposed to the comments I made regarding gluing the faces, where you can pull the curve out with the clamps easily, this needs to be as perfect as you can get it.

Ideally, you'd book match the front and backs independently, flatten them, and then glue the stack. But I know sometimes that's not practical given the tools at our disposal. But I'm sure this will be just fine once it's together. It's an electric. They're 'easy'. And I think pretty hard to really screw up, actually. Look at the workmanship on some of the new name brand instruments for proof ;-)

Oh, one more thing. Regarding 'spring jointing', these are beams and the deflection you get from a given amount of clamping pressure goes up by the cube of the length. IOW, make them twice as long and the same clamp pressure will deflect them 8X as much. So if you're gluing up something half the length of your buddy, you've either got to be 8X flatter than he is, or use 8X the clamp force. The first option is more difficult. The second, probably not practical.
    Last edited by Wes Grass; 12-14-2010 at 7:07 PM.

I just looked at Prashun's suggestion, and it occurs to me that for someone of my skills, there would be a good chance that the saw would end up outside of the original joint, by the time it exited the slab. You would have to have the original joint very parallel to the fence. The MDF method worked very easily, so thank God, I won't have to try the other ways.

Next time I want to make the middle of the guitar thicker and use 3/8" slabs on the front and back. I'll put the middle together first and then do the front and back, serially instead of together.

This has been a ton of fun, even with the frustration. I think this wood will become a guitar, in spite of all the errors, and I'm getting some weird ideas for embedding other contrasting woods in the next version. If I can rout out channels between the slabs and fill them with mahogany and maple and so on, I can get some neat built-in ornamentation once the guitar's outer shape is routed. I just hope the tone will be okay.