Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color filling engraved acrylic pens

Color filling engraved acrylic pens

Hi All,
    I have engraved a few acrylic pens but it is hard to see the engravings. I want to color fill it in a gold color so that the name can be seen clearly. Any pointers, help, or advice or suggestions would be great. I have searched the site on color fills and have some information. I just want to know what works the easiest and best for these Christmas presents.

Thanks for any and all of you help.
    Mike Berndt

I can't say to how well it'll work, but I have finally gotten around to buying gold, antique gold and silver "rub-n-buff". Used it on some shells, corian and wood. It has turned out better than the acrylic paint I've been using to color fill. I got mine from Michaels.

Anthony
    "No man is a failure who has friends." -Clarence

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education. - Mark Twain

Anthony Welch
    Laurel,MS

Epilog Legend EX 45watt, Corel Draw 12 & x3, Photograv, Wacom tablet 4x5, ShopBot PRS96x48 w/spindle, airbrush and shop full of tools.

Any acrylic paint from the hobby store should do. Before my final buffing, I dab it onto the engraving with a Qtip and wipe off the excess. After it dries, I do my final buffing.

Tim
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

I've found an exceptional acrylic paint at Hobby Lobby called Precious Metals gold leaf. I flood it on then scrape with card then clean with dna.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Rub-n-buff is what I use. Works great!
    Legacy lasers 1100 series 80 wattTrotec 25 watt speedy 1 (10 years old)2 champion 1900 table engravers.UScutter 24" Laser plotter

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berndt View Post
    Hi All,
    I have engraved a few acrylic pens but it is hard to see the engravings. I want to color fill it in a gold color so that the name can be seen clearly. Any pointers, help, or advice or suggestions would be great. I have searched the site on color fills and have some information. I just want to know what works the easiest and best for these Christmas presents.

Thanks for any and all of you help.
    Mike Berndt

You may want to check with the "Turners" forum also as many pen turners use a variety
    of fill methods.

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Rub n Buff works great for acrylic pens.. I usually use gold, but they have several other colours as well
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Color fill suggestions

Hi all,
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to try the rub n" buff method. Is there anything else you have to do over the top of the rub n' buff? I polish the acrylic then apply rub n' buff and then wipe of the excess. Is there a need to apply a finish over the fill? Just curious??

ULS 25E
    Corel X5
    Davisiville Middle School
    Technology Education Teacher
    Laser engraving/Freedom Pens/3 Carvewright's/ Vinyl graphics etc.............

I just rub off the excess and buff with a buffing wheel

I find that rubbing with a cloth removes the excess as well..I'm a little heavy handed with a buffing wheel. Just did 25 this week. I have customers that turn both wood and acrylic, and the R&B works great on all
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Thanks to all the responded :)

Thanks Bill

OK. You guys talked be into try Rub-n-Buff also.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Mike

Just one more thing. Some fonts or engravings have such fine lines that they are nearly invisible after filling. If you're having that issue you might try an outline to thicken the line.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I did a search and the closest I could come was a topic on acrylic pens.......but my real question is about wooden pens.......does anyone color fill them and if so, do you have any tips?

I don't buy the rosewood pens because the engraving doesn't look as nice to me as it does on the maple pens.......but then I wondered if they colorfill well......maybe with gold rub n buff. Does anyone do that and if so, do you have a technique that works well? Do you engrave the graphic a little deeper so more paint sits in there? I'm aso concerned about getting paint under the clip, not getting all the excess paint off, etc.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

Hi Steve.. My customers are pen turners, and they usually just bring me in the barrels. I have done acrylic, maple, and rosewood. They all seem to fill fine. I prefer not to use fill on the maple. In most cases the maple looks better in the natural brown of the engraving. The gold rub n buff looks great on the rosewood, and wiping some acrylic paint (or rub n buff) onto the engraving on acrylic pens, then wiping it off leaves the surface clean and the engraving filled. The ones I have done with the clip still attached, have posed no problems for cleaning, provide you don't slop the fill too close to the clip.. If you do, the quick pull of a piece of cloth under the clip should remove it if it's fresh.. For wood, I engrave the graphic along with the text, and use a speed of 22% at 100% power @300dpi .. It seems to make it deep enough to hold paint or r&B
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 04-09-2011 at 9:38 PM.