Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Color filling engraved acrylic pens

I do alot of pen turning and also engrave most that I sell.I dont use fill on any of the lighter colored woods unless I'm asked too by the customer.I fill most dark woods with gold or copper.I do all my pens after they are assembled .
    Epilog Mini 18 35 Watt,! Full Spectrum 40 watt, 3 Carvewright Machines, 2 metal lathes,1 metal mill,1 Taig CNC mini mill,2 wood lathes ,and Sublimation printer and Knight heat press's Owner of M&M's Custom Crafts

Thanks guys......I'l give it a shot.......can't believe I never thought to do it before!
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I have never really cared for the look of filled engraving, but I do it because that's
    what people want. But in the back of my mind I'm always wondering what happens
    if the color fill gets damaged, dug out of the engraving etc. so I do a CA finish over
    the fill. Makes it smooth and permanent. Plus, it's no problem over acrylic.. the CA
    is an acrylic finish anyway.

What is CA?
    Vicki

Precious Metals gold leaf is my favorite!

cyanoacrylate = CA
    Mike

Proud 24-yr USAF Veteran

COMPUTER: Dell Optiplex 620 - XP
    LASER HARDWARE: Pinnacle 25W Mercury,
    LaserPro 50W Explorer
    SOFTWARE: Corel X3, CS4 Suite, Photoshop Web Suite CS3, Solidworks
    FIRMWARE: My brain

Thanks - I thought that was what it was. I never thought to use CA to finish off a color fill.

Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    in the back of my mind I'm always wondering what happens
    if the color fill gets damaged, dug out of the engraving etc.
    I engraved some black G10 knife handles for a client and, while it engraved well, the design was black on black. The client wanted greater contrast and thought a gold fill would look good on black. I tried Rub N Buff first, but he quickly brought the test knife back because a fair bit of the waxy fill had come out one way or another (he said some wore out with handling and then he poked at it to see what would happen...). He still didn't like it after engraving deeper in hopes the wax would stay put. Now I fill with Testor's gold enamel. At first, the dried paint shrank so much that I had to do several paint/dry cycles to get a good fill. So, I let the gold settle in the bottle and poured off about half the clear solvent/base and now the mixed paint is thicker and doesn't "shrink" so much as it dries.

-Glen

8. OK, I was reading this and bought some gold rub and buff and tried to fill in a small name I engraved on a wood pen. Instantly the gold sank into the grain of the wood. It took a lot of sanding and repolishing to get the gold out of the grain but now the engraving looks very "old".

HOW do I keep the gold from getting into the grain?

Thanks
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson

Jamieson MT-530

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Everett White View Post
    HOW do I keep the gold from getting into the grain?
    Spray the engraved area with some clear first, let it dry, then color fill.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

you wouldn't put it on unfinished wood.. it would become the finish. (like it did!)
    What sort of finish are you using? Most any cured finish should hold up to the
    rub & buff, but a friction polish might not. The solvent in the RnB might eat into
    the shellac.

BTW.. for 'digging out' stuff like that, I've got an eraser pen. Sort of like an airbrush,
    but instead of paint, it blows out 220 grit sand. It gets into those little crevices
    and digs out paint in wood grain. Also gives a nice frosted look to rastered acrylic
    if you only have extruded and not cast. Come to think of it, it does a nice job
    on the cast, too. Just raster through the paper, use it as a mask.

11. AH.. (light bulb)

Yeah it's a friction polish. I was reading a seperate topic dealing with this same thing, but they used a lacquer. I will try this out. Btw I found a bullet pen and engraved a friends name on it for a thank you gift, I just wish the engraving could have been better. Maybe next time. I found it at usa craft supplies dot com. The pic is from their site but the one I did is close to it.
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!" -- Arthur Carlson

Jamieson MT-530

Friction polishes are fast and easy, but not really long lasting. They're
    usually a combination of shellac and waxes. Shellac is a lot more durable
    without wax, but the friction polish won't hold up to handling very well.
    And it doesn't take engraving well.. it melts rather than vaporizing.
    I've done those kits in resin and antler.
    You might want to go with a CA finish rather than a friction polish. CA
    takes an engraving well and is more durable than the lacquer. And it
    is faster, since it takes a good week before the lacquer is ready to
    polish out and engrave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    ...I've done those kits in resin and antler...
    Chuck,
    Beautiful work! Did you color fill the antler? I've got a pen turning client that's been sending his antler pens out of state to have them engraved. Ever since he found out I was even thinking about getting a laser he's been after me to do them.

BTW, He just got a gig for minimum order of 150 mesquite pens for a local business and tapped me for engraving the logos.
    Last edited by Dane Fuller; 05-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.

I'm curious, Chuck - did you ever use CA as a finish on flat work? Would there be an advantage over other types of finishes?
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong