Thread: skew sharpening convex

Question skew sharpening convex

I know I seen somewhere about sharpening a skew with the curve going backwards to what
    is normal. Can anyone point me to any info on this convex(I think) sharpening.I'd like to try
    this but don't know enough about it to just do it.

Harry,
    I believe that Eli Avisera sharpens his skew that way and he does it by hand by rolling it up and down the wheel. It is shown on one of his DVDs.
    Bill

Harry, Check utube for video's by Ali Avisera I think he has something on sharpening shew that way. That style of sharpening is the shew that he also sells check Craft Supplies Catalog.

This guy has a bunch of videos showing skew tips he learned from Eli Avisera. Here's the first of the skew sharpening videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObHzhq11auQ

Flat grind it may be easier...

From a repeatable, easy to maintain perspective, you may want to first try just getting a nice flat grind, not hollow(concave) or convex. The hollow grind has a tendency to catch, as you're not able to ride the bevel and make fine wispy cuts as easily. Going with a flat grind makes it easy to touch the tool up, I keep a 2x6 diamond stone next to my lathe, and just a few swipes on each side and it's back in business. I tried making a convex grind...and it was too difficult to maintain.
    At the microscopic level, if you get it flat to start with and then just use the stone to keep touching it up...eventually it will become ever so slightly convex anyway!
    Last edited by Tim Rinehart; 12-14-2010 at 10:07 AM. Reason: rephrase
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

Jimmy Clewes demonstrates this on one of his videos.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Watched Eli at a demo a few years back, and sharpened one of my skews that way. It is easier to make shallow coves and other bumps with it than with the straight or hollow ground skews. Harder to make a long straight piece though as the bevel acts like the sole of a plane. Most of the time, just needs honing on a bench stone, start on the cutting edge with handle high, then push and drop the handle. I also use it as a negative rake scraper on my threaded boxes to trim the shoulder so the grain will match.

robo hippy