Thread: thien baffle and plastic drum ideas

Blog Entries

thien baffle and plastic drum ideas

Hopefully Phil will read this, or some others may have tried this.

I received a blue plastic drum, see fuzzy picture below. I believe it's 55 gal container. The lid has a rubber gasket affixed and a metal band for an airtight seal.

As luck would have it, the metal ring that comes with a 2 hp HF dust collector fits exactly onto the black lid seen in the picture.

Idea 1:
    So, my thought is that I could cut the baffle shape into the lid itself, and affix the lid to the DC metal ring. This way, when it's time to empty my barrel, I release the metal band, some sort of simple foot lever to gently lower the barrel, empty, raise back up with simple foot lever, lock metal band. Repeat.

Do you think this could work? Do you think the plastic lid will be strong enough once the baffle is cut to stand up to the suction without bending etc.?

Idea 2:
    I have some extra wire mesh from a fencing project in my yard. The stuff that is coated with the green rubbery material. I thought I could put a large garbage bag inside the plastic drum, and then a piece of the wire mesh inside that to keep the bag from flapping in the wind. When it's time to empty, shimmy the wire mesh out, tie up the bag.

Reasonable idea? Is it even necessary (i.e. can I just put a bag in the drum and be done?)?

Don't be shy, I'm asking because I don't know, so please shoot the ideas down if there's a better way to go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Riefer; 12-14-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: adding picture
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Blog Entries
    bump

I'm planning on starting the effort tomorrow night, so would love any feedback. Thanks guys!
    - Bob R.

(1) I'd imagine the plastic top would be too flimsy.

(2) I'd imagine the fence would cut the bag up pretty badly when you try to shimmy it out of the bag.

1.-I think the lid would will work just fine if you back it up on the bottom with another sheet of harder material, shower stall hard board,(with the hard finish) would be thin and strong.
    2.-I think the wire mesh will work fine. I use the same stuff w/o the coating. I had to cut the wire ends very close to the cross sections so it wont rip the bag, but it works fine. Next time I empty it, Ill pick up some 3/8 -1-2 inch pipe from pluming they have the clear flex stuff or the harder milky looking stuff. Ill use the second slit it down so I can then slip it over the ends of the wire frame.It should stay on its own. Is very nice not having the dust fly after capturing it.
    I don't know if this helps at all but I had an old Xmas tree stand which I used for a cone shape that sits on the wire. Doesn't get in the way so I left it in.those will be going for about 4-6 buck after Christmas.
    Definitely go for it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by raul segura; 12-16-2010 at 1:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies guys. I think I'll try the lid-as-the-baffle idea, but in order to combat possible flimsyness issues, I'll look to add some additional support by way of some threaded rod supports.

As for the metal cage idea, I'm glad to hear that it's working for someone else! My plan was to slit an old piece of garden hose and affix it with some electrical tape in order to avoid potential poke-through issues. Besides, a black contractor garbage bag is pretty tough and stands up to poking moreso than a kitchen garbage bag. The benefit of being able to dispose the dust without making a new mess seems like it's worth the effort. But I may eat my hat later (I'll take vid if I do).
    - Bob R.