Thread: New Saw Ordered

New Saw Ordered

Anticipate bandsaw questions from me in the near future. Just bit the bullet and ordered the G0513x2. It will be a huge improvement over my tiny Craftsman bandsaw (probably a 10"). Had it for about 10 years and haven't used it for at least 6 years.

I have a need to resaw a lot of Coffeetree for refacing existing cabinets - the primary reason for getting the saw.

Congrats! Pics and review once received.

Wonderful saw Glenn.

I got distracted by your second sentence. What is a coffeetree?

Brian (
    happy owner of a G0513X2. But someone asked me, wouldn't that make it a G1026?)
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Two improvements to my bandsaw have made it much more useful:

An outfeed table. On most bandsaws, if you're sawing anything longer than a couple of feet, the workpiece is trying to fall off the back. Mine is a shop-built table mounted to the saw. It folds down when I'm not using it.

A carbide blade. It makes a much cleaner resaw face than the usual steel blade. When I'm making veneer, the sawn face is good enough to glue down.

[QUOTE=Brian Kent;1580054]Wonderful saw Glenn.

I got distracted by your second sentence. What is a coffeetree?

QUOTE]

Kentucky Coffeetree also known as Kentucky Coffeebean. The wood is hard and somewhat brittle. Looks somewhat like red oak but more pronouncd grain. For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_coffeetree
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

An outfeed table. On most bandsaws, if you're sawing anything longer than a couple of feet, the workpiece is trying to fall off the back. Mine is a shop-built table mounted to the saw. It folds down when I'm not using it.
    I am surprised by the relative lack of outfeed tables built for bandsaws! Especially given the very small table on most bandsaws and the fact that the majority of people have a 14" cast clone which is usually 14"-16" deep. I have been thinking about a design for a mobile outfeed table with a storage cabinet that I can use for two different bandsaws, the rub is there is a 3 inch difference in table height between them.

Blog Entries
    Congrats, Glenn. Three pieces of advice:
    1. Read Van Huskey's thread on BS blades http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=149862
    2. Buy Duginski's book
    3. Junk the stock blade and get a Woodslicer from Highland.

Looking forward to your comments and pics.
    Last edited by Jim Rimmer; 12-09-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added thread link

The G0513X2 arrived

The saw arrived today. Thought getting it into the garage would be a pain; the pallet jack forks would not fit the pallet. The driver put it on a hand truck and wheeled it right into the garage. Great lift gate service!

Got it on the Shop Fox mobile base with no problems (much easier than I thought). The base works ok - just wish the feet would raise higher. Did not have the problems someone else mentioned with the wheels hitting the frame.

Assembly was pretty easy. The one difference between the saw and the documentation was the table tilt. The documentation shows a lever (lock) and a knob (tilt); my saw has 2 levers and no knob. The lever is probably better that the small knob.

Getting power for the saw was a trip. I have a single 30 amp circuit to the garage. My G1029 was already on the circuit (only had a single outlet). The documentation states that a dedicated circuit is needed. My solution was to build 2 extension cords: a 5 footer that has 2 6-20 outlets and a second to run from the saw to the outlet. With great trepidation I tested each unit separately then both together. No current problems at all. The smallest wire size is 12 awg for the long cord; the short cord is very heavy wire – probably 6 or 8 awg. Got everything built and discovered the plugs were reversed from the outlets and had to go get proper plugs.

I have not completed the alignment process (about halfway done). Ran out of light and the wife wanted her car back in the garage so tomorrow is another day of setup. I am going to need lights to enable me to see what I am doing. I have macular degeneration and need quite a bit of light to get enough contrast to see details – especially the lower bearings where everything is black on black.

I did try a few cuts in some ¾” Coffeetree and was impressed. No lead on rips or crosscuts. Tried a resaw on a 7” wide piece and got a little wander but was pleased for a first effort.

The biggest surprise was how quiet the saw is; once it starts up it is only a whisper.
    Now I have to decide where I am going to put it and hookup the dust collection. I am trying to convince the wife it is time to build a dedicated shop so I have room for everything.

Congratulations! Us basement shop people are quite envious of stories about rolling heavy new saws and other tools right into the shop. When it comes to buying a heavvy new tool, having a basement shop means knowing who your friends really are.

I'm betting you will use your new saw a lot. I have had my new bandsaw less than a year now and I go to it all the time for all kinds of cuts. I honestly don't know how I did without it. I use a roller stand as outfeed for long pieces, but a true outfeed table would be very useful.

Great, but we need pics!

Now time to start the blade collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    Great, but we need pics!

Now time to start the blade collection!
    I will do pics when I get it placed. I have only half a 2 car garage. Way too much equipment in too small a space. My side is all the tools, wood, garden equipment winter/summer wheels and tires for the Solstice, dust collector etc. The wife's side is her 2000 Escalade and nothing else (when we bought the house she put tape down the center of the garage floor to mark his and hers).

Got all the alignments finished today. Dust collection gets hooked up tomorrow. Tested it on a piece of 2X6X6 Lacewood - got 26 pen blanks out of it. Cut like a dream - even with the blade that came with the saw. I think I am going to be really happy with it.

I will be cutting tons of pen blanks from Kentucky Coffeetree - have to use up the cutoffs from the cabinet project. It makes nice pens though the grain is a bit open yet very pronounced. Not sure as to what else I can do with 3/4" cutoffs.

Here is what coffeetree looks like:
    Attached Images Attached Images