Thread: Followup to urn design problem

Followup to urn design problem

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. Here is a picture of the urn when I first posted (Dec 3, 2010) and how it looks today.
    Pix013[1].jpg Pix144.jpg
    I have turned mostly bowls and now remember the learning curve to get the design as intended. Now I’m going through something similar with the taller / leaner hollow form. Because it was already hollowed, I was limited in my options for re-working. For the most part the upper ½ was as thin as I care to go. I did have a thicker inside collar & chose to remove 3/8” from the top (still leaving me room to cut a recess for the top’s tenon) and then the lid was changed to suspend down over the cherry another 3/8”. Then I extended the curve all the way to the bottom. A straight edge rests on only a point over the lower curve. But for practical purposes, it appears nearly flat. The upper third of the cherry is 3.5” and the lower 2/3 is 7”. The top and base are 2/3 of the diameter of the widest part (5 ¼”) while the narrow bottom of the cherry is 1/3.
    With a background in civil engineering I do have somewhat of an understanding of the formulas derived from the drawing of daVinci (or at least I did when in school). Now that I’m retired I’m excited to use my creativity – quite stifled when administering construction contracts for roads & bridges. So I truly appreciate comments from everyone’s experience. From an engineering point of view the urn does have adequate room for the remains of an 80 lb dog with a sufficient factor of safety. Now I will work on getting the tool control and a eye for improving the curves on hollow forms.
    My BIL, Duff, exposed me to turning in 2008. I had already had some experience with woodworking, but not using the lathe. It’s way too late to warn me of the vortex – I’m “hooked” forever!
    And then I had the good fortune to take some turning classes from Russ Fairfield at the Spokane Woodcraft store. Russ is a great teacher. Several of you have mentioned Russ’s web site. He is a bundle of information.
    I now have a Jet 1642, Oneway Stronghold chuck with a variety of jaws, gouges, scrapers, Bowl Saver, Bowl Steady, McNaughton Hollower, Husqvarna electric chainsaw, etc. – you get the idea – too deep into the vortex to retreat. I’m looking forward to learn how to use a power carver and a burner. Found a Mastercarver at an auction with Duff last spring. So many ideas – loving it all.
    Glad to have found you folks!

Significant recovery, there Linda!! I like this version much better. You certainly have an interesting background. I guess from the acquisitions you have already made, warnings about the vortex are meaningless!!

'Morning Linda,
    You have really improved the profile of the urn. A bit of carving would draw the viewer's eye away from basic shape of the urn. By having committed youself by hollowing out the urn, you were limited in the changes you could make. I'm sure that you have learned several things by turning and modifying this piece. The body of an urn is about 60% of the design. The lid can add 40% and complete and compliment the design or it can do the opposite.

I'm working on my peronnal urn. It has a 4 liter capacity and it is of spalted white oak. The lid is low crown and presently doesn't flow that well with the urn's profile. I think that a small wooden cross rising out of the lid will be the needed final touch. I have always heard that " You can't take it with you!" Well, I'm gonna dirt nap in mine.

Good luck Linda! I hope Santa brings you lots of goodies made of hign speed steel with fine wooded handles. And BTW, Merry Christmas!

Bob Haverstock

Interesting design and looks stable enough. You mentioned carving and burning - this urn looks like it would be a nice candidate for laser etching, carving or burning a likeness of your dog. Just a thought...
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Again, thanks for the comments. I agree that this piece would benefit from carving / burning. But that is all new to me. Thanks to the recent thread on burning equipment and catalog/internet researching, I'm going to have Santa bring me something. I recently sold my planer and compound sliding miter saw and some small tools (to make room for turning stuff) - so there is a little money for the most recent obsession.

7 x 4.5 in. myrtlewood bowl.jpg

I agree with John that is a significant improvement. Glad you are not resisting the vortex--it's futile to do so! Glad you found the Creek.

Hey Sis, what are you going to use for a finsh? I agree that it looks better now.
    Duff

Rember: Experience is what you get just after needed it.

I like the reworked version, and I'd imagine it'll be even nicer with a little finish. BTW, that's a nice looking bowl in your second post in this thread.

Thanks David, I'm still learning how to add pictures - wanted to show one of my bowls, but didn't realize it had attached. Seems to take awhile.
    The bowl is Oregon Myrlewood. A friend brought a piece and wanted a vase. I kept the rest and turned this bowl and a covered dish. Sure like trades like that.