Thread: Staining Oak a dark red?

Staining Oak a dark red?

i'm building an oak case for a client and he wants it stained a dark red-brown.
    I have to get the project complete a week from today..wednesday and i still have to order the finishing supplies...so i need to get the order in tonight or in the morn.

i haven't done much staining..only oil finishes and shellacs.
    i'm thinking of ordering the trans-tint reddish brown and maybe a wipe on poly...

what do i do to level out the grain to get a consistent color. the sample of the finish he showed me was a maple with a dark red finish. so basically i need to get the contrast down.

any advice on that? can i get it done with the red-brown transtint and a poly or is there something more i need to order?

thanks for the help,
    andy

Red oak or white oak?

Big differentce the way they stain. Red oaks porous grain gets pretty intense where as the late wood takes on a lot less color.

Dye can be sprayed to a very even color, no wiping needed.

Using TransTint dyes with water raises the grain of the oak. Using it with denatured alcohol does not.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

red oak.
    is it common to add water or oil stains over trans-tints? are there any other combinations i should explore?
    i have some wipe on poly...i think watco. will that do for the top coat?

I've had great success with Behlen's NGR dyes, sponged on but spraying is always the best for uniformity--these are water soluable dyes in alcohol so that they do not raise the grain (Non Grain Raising). You may consider a highly-thinned coat (1/2# to 1# cut) of shellac sprayed as a sealer coat. It will help stop up the pores a bit and allow more even penetration of the dye.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.