Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Radial Arm Saw Blade

Good Radial Arm Saw Blade

I was just about to sell my Craftsman 10" RAS when I needed to cut some half lap joints for a bookcase. I put a 6" Forrest Dado King stacked dado set on it that I had left when I sold my contractor saw and replaced it with a SS ICS (it requires an 8" dado stack). The decent dado set made a world of difference in the performance of this saw and now I'm going to keep it. In order to do that I need recommendations on a quality blade for it. I would likely default to a Forrest Chopmaster (I use the WWII on my table saw and love it), but I'm open to opinions. Thanks for the time and input.

I have several Chopmasters and love them, the Freud LU91 is also an excellent blade and I have used it on both RAS and SCMS, it has a 5* neg hook and it is a little thinner kerf (.090 vs .105) than the Chopmaster which is nice on the Craftsman saw. I have a LU91 on my Craftsman RAS and given I have a couple of 80T and 90T Forrest CMs within reach of the saw lets you know how I feel. That is not to say I think it is better but just as good in 99% of situations and is cheaper.

I have a 10" ChopMaster on my ras and a 12" on my scms. They were my first choice and I never felt a need to look further. So, I guess I'm saying the ChopMaster is a good choice, but I haven't compared them to others.

Pretty much any decent carbide tipped 40th or better with a negative rake angle is going to give a good cut. I'm using a nice blade whose brand I don't know but was ordered from the folks at Wolfe machinery that handle the DeWalt RAS service and rebuild business. Its real quiet, doesn't hum or whistle on wind down, and makes an excellent cut. I was told it is made for the RAS specifically.

The negative rake angle is critical to decrease the tendency for the RAS to climb forward toward the user, so putting a general purpose TS blade on a RAS can lead to more climbing, which can lead to more pants wetting. I'd figure a TK with stabilizers would help the craftsman's performance.

I have a Forrest Woodworker I on my RAS. Best blade I've used on it so far.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

i'm sure this selection will be criticized for its 10 degree hook angle

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...im/14883371-20

but it works very well for me, as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8In_nKqW1DA

and it's not terribly expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    i'm sure this selection will be criticized for its 10 degree hook angle

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...im/14883371-20

but it works very well for me, as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8In_nKqW1DA

and it's not terribly expensive.
    I have used positive hook angle blades on RAS and they will work fine you just have to be aware of their tendencies. I have even used them on Craftsman RAS but it is the least favorable saw to use them on, the weight and rigidity of the arm isn't as high as a "real" RAS and thus more likely to climb. In the end if I had only positive hook angle blades and needed the RAS I would use one but if I am buying a new one it makes more sense to get a negative hook angle blade.

You might check Infinity. They have a blade they sell specifically for RASs. Also 10% off if you mention the SMC discount. I have a couple of their blades and bits, and am thoroughly pleased with all of them. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Thomas - The Infinity 010-060 is a 60T Hi-ATB blade that's very similar to the Forrest WWI. It'll have very low tearout tendencies and is also an excellent plywood blade. (on sale for < $60)

Holbren's got the CMT 80T Hi-ATB 210.080.10 for $61 (less 10% with "SMC10" discount code).

Both excellent, both suitable for RAS.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I think one of the reasons the ras gets a bad rap is that people who are experienced handling them make recommendations that neither the saw industry nor the blade industry endorse. An inexperienced person puts that positive hook blade on the saw and unexpectedly feels that blade trying to come at them. That puts them in the "RAS is dangerous camp", all because they took bad advise instead of following the manufacturer's and blade maker's advice.

I realize that everybody has to make their own decisions, and respect that. I'm just saying that those who are new to using a particular tool should, "Read, Understand, and Follow the manufacturer's instructions", to coin a phrase.

Speak to me

Quote Originally Posted by Will Overton View Post
    I think one of the reasons the ras gets a bad rap is that people who are experienced handling them make recommendations that neither the saw industry nor the blade industry endorse. An inexperienced person puts that positive hook blade on the saw and unexpectedly feels that blade trying to come at them. That puts them in the "RAS is dangerous camp", all because they took bad advise instead of following the manufacturer's and blade maker's advice.

I realize that everybody has to make their own decisions, and respect that. I'm just saying that those who are new to using a particular tool should, "Read, Understand, and Follow the manufacturer's instructions", to coin a phrase.

For a long time I've been looking for a RAS. I keep watching CL for the old DeWalt models that are supposed to be good. The other night I dropped some tables off for a guy and he gave me a Craftsman Professional RAS, model 315.220381. I know the "Crapsman" reputation these have but hey, the price was right. I got paid for the tables and the RAS was FREE. So, now that I have one I'm looking for a blade. This thread came up in a strange timely coincidence....... I would like to keep my blade under $100, prefereably under $80 if possible. Will, what are your personal recommendations for a blade for a beginner to the RAS world?

I bought one recently, a RIDGID RS1000. Never owned or used one before, but was fed up of sloppy miters and crosscuts on my abortion of a SCMS. Table saw was not much more accurate, and certainly less convenient to use.

The RAS was a revelation. I expected it to climb a little, with a 50T Table saw blade on it for now, but it's controllable. Easily controllable even. The saw is accurate beyond belief, I've been trying out the different features, bevel angles and so forth, and it always come back to dead-on 90 degrees.

I know I need a proper blade for it, and this thread has been useful. However, in the meantime, I don't see it as any more dangerous than any other power tool with a blade and motor big enough to sever digits and limbs. Treated with respect, it's great. Wish I had bought one years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Weiss View Post
    For a long time I've been looking for a RAS. I keep watching CL for the old DeWalt models that are supposed to be good. The other night I dropped some tables off for a guy and he gave me a Craftsman Professional RAS, model 315.220381. I know the "Crapsman" reputation these have but hey, the price was right. I got paid for the tables and the RAS was FREE. So, now that I have one I'm looking for a blade. This thread came up in a strange timely coincidence....... I would like to keep my blade under $100, prefereably under $80 if possible. Will, what are your personal recommendations for a blade for a beginner to the RAS world?
    I use a Forrest ChopMaster which is a bit over $100.

The Freud LU91R010 is $65 at Amazon. It's a thin kerf, 60 tooth blade with a -5° hook angle. They also make the same blade without the red coating, LU91M010, which at Amazon is $54.99

Freud describes them as;

"Fine Finish Blades For Sliding Miter & Radial Arm Saws"

Plus 1 on the Forrest Woodworker. When I got my DeWalt RAS years ago I called Forrest and they recommended it for my application. Smooth, straight effortless cuts. I no longer have the saw, having upgraded to a good cabinet saw, but I would highly recommend it. Give them a buzz; I found them to be very knowledgeable and will help you with the correct model

Another vote for Infinity - they have two good choices:
    1 - their radial arm saw blade (5 deg hook, ATB teeth)
    2 - their chop saw blade - which I like even better (-5 deg hook, ATB+R teeth)