After some recent threads on drum sanders, I spent a night reading all the posts I could find on SMC for these, trying to figure out what was "the best" drum sander I should be looking for, for use in garage shop. I really couldn't find any "best" threads, or comparisons--just data points on individual machines, mostly Performax 16-32, Jet 22-44, Jet 16-32 (did they buy Performax??).

I'd also like to know if it's reasonable to get a wide belt sander for a home shop, if they're better than drum sanders (threads seem to say yes), and what models would be reasonable for a home shop. I read that motors are much bigger, usually 3 phase, and they take up space, so I'd be looking for 5HP single phase (maybe 7.5 if that's all there is), and apparently I want one with a platen.

Looking at the new pricing, it appears drum sanders are fairly expensive, on the order of a table saw which surprised me. And the WBS seem much more expensive, I looked at the Grizzly lineup for low-price data points. I'd like to look on CL for a used one, but need more info on what I should be buying. Here's the use: all personal build, furniture, 3-6 built-ins including full-wall bookshelf/cabinet ones for office, and kitchen cabinets, likely frame and raised-panel, perhaps shaker fronts, but non-euro. Future projects likely include guitars.

My ares of interest are:
1. I've read lots of great posts for 16-32 (performax or jet?) but then a lot of BAD posts on them concerning drum leveling.
2. I've read from virtually everyone that the 22-44 is better.
3. Most everyone says the wide belt is better, but it should have a platen etc...

So, with $2k budget, 2 car garage shop, 60A 230V panel that I could boost to 100A, 5HP Oneida cyclone, and quite happy to shop CL at length for the thing, WHAT do I buy?