Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Drum Sander for home shop; or wide belt used ?

I went through this decision recently, and ordered the G9983 from Grizzly. 5 hp single phase, for 3195. They also have the G0644 on closeout. It's just 3 hp for 1895 plus 89 shipping. Does anybody on this forum have the G0644? Found several G9983 owners here. Used a larger machine at a cabinet shop where I worked for a few months, fantastic machines. They used it to thickness lumber with a coarse belt, mostly just sanded face frames. You could change the belt in a matter of seconds.

I have a Northstate open end wide belt and could not be happier. It is like night and day using it over a drum sander. I had a Proformax open end and a Woodtech dual drum (only suitable for a boat anchor) and didn't care for either one. The Northstate is available in 5hp, single phase, has a platen and takes up very little floor space. Mine is on Zambus casters and totally out of the way. This is the exact machine that Powermatic imports at a considerably lower price. You can see them at: http://www.leneavesupply.com/
    Last edited by Dino Drosas; 12-16-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    The lyf so short The craft so long to lerne