Thread: Another Sheet Good Storage Bin

Another Sheet Good Storage Bin

My version of the vertical sheet goods storage bin. I've got a fair amount of heavy sheet goods from an auction buy so I felt I needed something a little more substantial than the Hatfield/Pellow/Popular Woodworking? solution. Mine also had to be more free standing with minimal support to the wall because it needed to be spaced away from the overhead door to allow the door to operate. It blocks about 2' of the width of the 12'x12' door. I also wanted something that would raise everything a few inches off the floor as occasionally a small amount of water will come under the overhead door during a heavy thunderstorm.

So, I came of with this. It is constructed from 2x4's bolted together at the top and bottom and 7/16" OSB.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 01-04-2005 at 10:34 PM.

It looks good Matt. How wide is the opening and how many 3/4" sheet can you fit in?

Good use of space Matt. It looks like with the bin, the cart, and the shelf over both the door and the bin, you should be able to handle a lot of "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by William Lai
    It looks good Matt. How wide is the opening and how many 3/4" sheet can you fit in?
    The opening is 22" wide so it theoretically would hold 29 sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Good use of space Matt. It looks like with the bin, the cart, and the shelf over both the door and the bin, you should be able to handle a lot of "stuff".
    I used to have everything on that cart. Couldn't hardly move it. It is 8' long, so I'm thinking of cutting it down to 2/3 of that now that I won't be keeping as much on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser
    I used to have everything on that cart. Couldn't hardly move it. It is 8' long, so I'm thinking of cutting it down to 2/3 of that now that I won't be keeping as much on it.
    Matt, I am planning to build a cart as well. So, I thank you for your informed opinion that it should be about 2/3 of 8 feet in length.

Looking good Matt. Glad to see someone using 2x4 frame. I plan on doing that also, because I have to build mine horizontally as I only have 8' ceilings. I have the basic design drawn up and plan on starting it this week. I'll have to post pics after I'm done.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.