Thread: Ideals for cleaning up oil finished teak?

Ideals for cleaning up oil finished teak?

I see many teak boat interiors in my work that were regrettably oil finished.
    Over the years the finish goes too dark and tends to get grime in the wood pores as well as black mold if the boat was ever poorly stored.

Does anyone have any ideals for clean up options short of a full sand out? I am thinking a solvent wash followed by fresh oil or perhaps one of cleaning products out there such as Spray Nine or simple green.

I have a job coming up with a oiled interior while not as bad as they can go, it still needs a clean up.

Thanks all

Go to a marine hardware store and buy some teak cleaner. The better ones will have oxalic acid as a cleaner/bleach as well as some other chemicals. Follow the directions. Use a stiff synthetic bristled brush. If there is mold, first spray on a mixture of 5 parts distilled water and one part of a newly purchased chlorine bleach like Clorox.

Once you get the teak clean, it's up to you what you apply. Some use a teak oil but that needs to be cleaned and renewed every year or sooner. Another choice is an interior true marine non-poly varnish. This too will require periodic stripping and re-finishing every couple of years.
    Howie.........

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    +1 on the Teak Cleaner. I just want to add.....don't buy the cheap stuff. Go to a reputable store. West Marine has the good stuff.

As for the new coating....use a good quality marine varnish - usually about $30/qt. If the parts can be removed and sprayed, you can top coat with a 2 part urethane - usually around $120/qt.
    Chemicals definately fall into the category of "you get what you pay for".
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 12-18-2010 at 4:31 PM.