Thread: dust collector modification and shop layout

dust collector modification and shop layout

I'm almost done enclosing one half of a 2 car garage (shop size approx 11'x24'). I've been reading/searching the archives for the last week but i haven't seen anything very specific about what i'd like to do with my current dust collector, and i'd appreciate comments on the layout.

I'll explain my layout a little first. I did this quick on grizzly. the bottom is where a garage door is. Two windows on the left wall. I am pretty set on having the dust collector in the bottom right corner, the tablesaw approximately centered with my workbench acting as an outfeed table, an 8" jointer along the right wall, and a 12" planer to be taken out as needed and placed on the workbench. In the picture, there is also a 14" bandsaw near the door. On the top wall, there is an oscillating sander and mortiser on a bench, and a space heater left of that. On the left wall there would be a 12" SCMS, a router table below that, and a 17" drill press at the bottom. I have a lumber rack i was planning on putting either above the jointer or above the router/SCMS. I have room for excess lumber in the attic above, and can store some portable tools in a cabinet just outside the shop. Most machines are on mobile bases, but the TS is harder to move because it's got a biesmeyer fence/table on the right.

About the dust collector, i have a delta 50-850. It has worked well in the past wheeled around serving one tool. I'd like to make it stationary. This model has a 1.5 hp motor, a 6" inlet with a restrictor plate (to 4") behind it, 12" impeller, and a 5 micron bag filter on top with plastic bag on the bottom. I'm considering 1) removing the restrictor plate, 2) replacing the bag filter with a wynn cartridge filter, 3) getting an oneida super dust deputy and connecting it with 6" pipe, and 4) running 5" pipe (as much as possible, i will modify dust ports on the machines) from the dust deputy to all my machines. I called delta and they said i could get 658 cfm at 4.98" SP through 4" pipe, 825 cfm at 2.97" SP through 5" pipe, 886 cfm at 2.13" SP through 6" pipe, and that was without the restrictor plate removed and with the standard bag filter. Based on my basic layout, I calculated some of the SP in the planned ductwork and came up with about 1" to the closest machine, up to 2" for the furthest away (opposite side as the dust collector). I plan on keeping the tablesaw, 8" jointer, and lunchbox planer as close as possible.

A couple questions related to that. Has anybody modified their unit and seen big improvements? How much SP would adding the super dust deputy add? Is it worth trying to bring duct to the oscillating sander with 2.5" output (it's one of those rigid belt/spindle sanders)?

I am ambivalent about where the DP, BS, router table or SCMS go. Should i place one where the BS currently is, perhaps the router table to maximize dust collection potential? I'm trying to maximize both infeed/outfeed length as well as dust collection.

Thanks in advance for all your comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'll make one comment about using your bench as an outfeed: I did this for a while and hated it after a month. Every time I wanted to rip something, I had to clear my bench, which meant shuffling whatever was in progress on the bench to the nearest horizontal surface, or shoving it all to one side to make enough clearance for the piece and offcut. I ended up spacing them so they didn't interfere with each other at all and using a fold-up outfeed for the times that I need it.

Tim,

I think you're underestimating your SP loss. In addition to the piping, you also have to add in the loss at the machine itself, this will vary greatly but will probably not be less than 2". I couldn't find specific info on the SP loss from the Super Dust Deputy, but a typical cyclone is about 3". So what your probably really looking at is about 6-7" SP loss. Rather than upgrading your current collector with cyclone and filter, you might want to just get a 3 hp or more cyclone collector to start with.

I'll also second Derek's comment about using your bench as an outfeed table, if you're not good at keeping your bench really clean, it becomes annoying at times.

mark

Mark,

Thanks for you thoughts. I was calculating duct SP loss based on this wood magazine site: http://www.woodmagazine.com/woodwork...-needs/?page=3. I don't quite understand what the additional SP at each machine would be, and why you say 2"? I could see the lunchbox planer for example having a bit more resistance because the chips are collected across the blade and through a 4" hole. But something like an 8" jointer, where chips are falling down a shoot, but which i believe is open to the entire cabinet under the jointer beds, how would you know how much SP that adds? Or does it matter at that point? I haven't seen anyone mention that in calculations.

Also, i tried to find out the SP loss from the super dust deputy, but am waiting for Oneida to get back to me. If it really does add as much as 3", maybe my machine can't handle it and i'll just have to deal with emptying the regular collection bag often. I can't afford at the moment both a much larger system (i only paid $150 for this one) as well as the ductwork. And i think with the size shop i have, if i put in 5" ductwork, that will be adequate for both this current machine and if i ever do get a full cyclone system.

Also, I'd have to agree with both of you about using the bench as an outfeed. I have done that in another shed i used that was even smaller. It was quite annoying to clear off when i needed the tablesaw outfeed. I was hoping to save the time of making a fold-down outfeed table, but i'll plan on doing it over time. I actually haven't even built the workbench yet, but i've got a couple stacks of white and red oak i had cut from trees on my property last year ready and waiting.

Tim,

The link you give is doing the right calculation for the ductwork, but is leaving out stuff at both ends. If the numbers for any particular dust collector include consideration of the cyclone (if any) and filters, then it's ok to leave it out of the calculation on that end, but how air goes from the room into the ductwork is a big part of the overall resistance of the system.

Here's one example of where that is talked about: http://www.oneida-air.com/shop_plan_...tutorial02.php

Often in the complete system calculation this part will be referred to as a "hood". I used 2" just because that was the number that was sticking in my mind - it can vary a lot. For the example that you use of an 8" jointer, remember that the airflow has to get around the smallest opening which is likely the space between the bed and the blade, that's where the resistance comes from.

mark

Here is a link to thread I made about about modifying my SC 65200 DC (which is identical to yours).

http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com...dust+collector

C