Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rogue Sawstop Brake Activation

Blog Entries
    Why does it need to talk to the saw (as you can tell, I've never seen one in person)? I thought the brake would be a self-contained unit with only a socket for power...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Why does it need to talk to the saw (as you can tell, I've never seen one in person)? I thought the brake would be a self-contained unit with only a socket for power...
    Well the brake needs to have an electrical connection with the blade.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Hi All
    I took delivery of a new Industrial SawStop on Feb 1st and after making various rips and crosscuts of 28bf of furniture grade 6/4 cherry I had a false activation of the blade brake yesterday. No fingers near it, plastic push stick and featherboard, just ripping a wider piece (already cut) down to a narrower width and bang! I can't find any metal in the cherry and have not removed the cartridge yet or even turned off the "red light" in case maintainng power has any diagnostic benefit. So false activation is alive and well even in the latest equipment shipped from the factory in January. Tomorrow, Monday 2/28, I will call SawStop and ask for some customer service with quick turnaround.

If people are still interested I will post a follow-up. This is crazy after only 3 weeks of careful usage!

Len

Follow-up after Sawstop phone call:
    Talked with a somewhat non-accommodating Gretchen at SawStop who told me that:
    a. "There is no such thing as a false activation" and
    b. "It is absolutely untrue that we have ever had any cartridge or electronics problems"
    I really didn't care for the tone of the response. She said I would need to talk with her manager if I wanted anything more than a cartridge replacement if it was there fault.

We'll see what happens after they examine my returned cartridge!
    LM
    Last edited by Len Meyer; 02-28-2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: update

Well, I'm curious, what did SS say about your problem??
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Vaughn View Post
    I contacted SawStop about the breaks for my Contractor and got this reply:

It’s a combination of the 220v contactor used on the PCS and CNS 220v versions, and cartridge software below D13. It’s a fairly subtle noise interaction that has actually happened on very few saws. D13 software contains fixes that prevent the possibility of this interaction. If you have a 220v contactor, we’ll be happy to reprogram your D10 brake to D13 firmware. If you’re running 115v, this is not an issue.
    I am real close to pulling the trigger on the 115v cabinet saw and rewiring it to 220/230v based on your conversation should I rewire my shop instead of the saw motor?

I'm working with their Technical Support Mgr after being initially stiff armed by the first person I contacted by phone. I will write a follow-up when I have some concrete action on their part. I'm also discussing some other issues with them revolving around both vibration and around the condition of my saw as received from my local supplier.

Thanks for asking
    Len

From your clear description of the incident and taking into account the multiple voltages that this product uses there could be a myriad of possibilities for this event. If I'm not mistaken, upon initial start up this devise polls / checks its multiple circuits before full speed is attained. Low voltage signaled sensors can be very susceptible to the rapidly growing RF in our modern environment. These conditions and these higher levels of RF can be almost infinitely variable in nature. The isolation and or filtering technology that is currently being used on many consumer devises can be somewhat behind the curve. Another potential cause could be fluctuation and or noise within your mains line voltage. Your location on the grid, the wiring within your, and even your neighbors dwelling and its proximity, can combine to have a dramatic affect on the stability, and more importantly, the quality of your VAC.

Regardless, if any of these issues played into the start up event you and a few other have experienced, this manufacture seems to be standing behind their product. What seems like only a few currently unexplained misfirings the technology associated with this product remains outstanding as are its detractors who remain stunningly entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Oddly when I bought a SawStop the same thing happened. Before the SawStop I used a PM66 and before that a Unisaw. For the 20 years or so of using them I never had a guard. I was always careful, but stupid. Once I bought the SawStop I was much more aware of safety devices and I never used the Sawstop without the guard. So owning a Sawstop does not automatically make everyone less aware.
    Anyway, be careful is always great.

My issue with the Sawstop Industrial Model is now resolved. The Technical Support Mgr. provided a new cartridge and blade fairly quickly after they analyzed my false activation cartridge. They said the electronics indicated an "ungrounded contact" but the readings were inconclusive so they were giving me the benefit of the doubt. They went mum on my other questions about vibration and noise on my particular unit. My Dealer jumped in a traded out that saw for another brand new one which does run a bit smoother and has some subtle upgrades that were not included on the older model I first received in February.

I'm done for now but since I had mixed results dealing with the SawStop team I'm staying neutral and not giving any "rave reviews" about how wonderfully my problems were addressed.

I warned some time ago about a top notch professional friend of mine who has had several false firings.

I don't think the technology is yet perfected enough. Guess I'll have to keep on keeping my hands out of the blade as I've been doing for over 55 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    The saw has a power panel with all the electronics.
    When you turn the saw on, you have to wait while it talks to the brake, and warms it up.
    When the brake says "I'm good to go" the saw will start.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 03-29-2011 at 9:10 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night