Thread: Bulls-eye Products

Bulls-eye Products

This is a newbie question so please bear with me. I'm getting ready to do a project and finish with shellac. I've never used shellac before so I was wondering if there was difference between mixing my own from flakes or just using the pre-mixed Bulls-eye stuff on the shelf at Lowe's. Also, has anyone ever tried out the Bulls-eye french polish stuff they sell at woodcraft? Thanks for any help you can offer on this.

The difference is pretty much the "pound cut" or concentration of shellac vs. alcohol for thefinal formulation. I am not sure what the "cut" is on th estore bought pre-mixed stuff, but I have used the Bulls-Eye Clear (Blonde) and Amber with good results on jewelry boxes and other display boxes. I have not used the "French Polish" type.

With the flakes & alcohol, you have absolute control over the formulation and probably will have a more pure concoction than that of the pre-packaged as the y probably have many more ingredients to give it a longer shelf life.

I hope I was at least a little helpful to you.

Ted, the Bulls Eye blond shellac sold at Lowes is a three lb. cut. The back of the label tells how to convert the three lb cut to a two or a one lb cut. The brochure "Bulls Eye Shellac" should be hanging next to the product. It is very informative. Good luck, Keith
    If mama ain't happy............you know the rest!

Ted, the other big advantage for flakes is that you can mix only the amount you will need and not waste premix.