Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Afraid of heights? Yowza

Afraid of heights? Yowza

http://www.liveleak.com/mp53/player....0365%26embed=1

Someone posted that on another board I'm a member of. It took four tries before I could watch the whole thing.

Wow... I feel a bit sick to my stomach just now...
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

My palms are sweating.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I thought the Empire State Building scene from the King Kong remake was bad. If I had seen this on the big screen I have very little doubt my popcorn would have stayed put.
    CW Miller
    Whispering Wood Creations

I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals.
    Winston Churchill

I have been scared of heights my entire life. I started working on oil rigs at age 15 and believe me, when I had to go aloft to help the derrick hand, my hands would leave palm prints in the steel before they'd let go.

And yet I have never been afraid of flying.

Since I developed vertigo attacks 7 years ago and take medicine for them, I don't even go onto my roof anymore.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

They must pay them very well.
    I couldn't/wouldn't do that for all the tea in China!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I watched it but I was white knuckled all the way. That is some kind of video, I don't think I could watch it twice.

I am not afraid of heights that much but that is unreal, I don't see how they do it.

Amazing stuff. How do you trial for such a job? You don't want to be 1000 feet in the air and find out you can't continue, know do you.

For me it's odd in that I can't stand heights but as long as I'm tethered they're no problem. I've leaned out over a 700 foot cliff to get a better look while standing on just a nub of a rock outcropping without any fear at all. Shimmied out on a 6 inch tree branch that was overhanging a 600 foot drop into a subterranean cavern and then absailed to the bottom without the slightest fear. There was so much weight on the rope you had to pull yourself down. Repelled off a bridge 400 feet in the air where we had to kick out and drop about 15 feet first - no sweat... But I can barely walk along a 2x6 only 2 stories up simply because I'm not tied in. Knowing they're not tied in at all causes my guts to tighten.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

When I was young my family owned a drive in theater. As a teenager I would climb the 90' screen to set up a swinging scaffold to make repairs. Now, at 58 I don't like getting up on a step ladder.

Blog Entries
    I was appalled by the lack of safety equipment. There is no climber protection system on the entire climb. I'm not certain that his single hook over one of those L-legs or carriage bolt climbing rungs would stay put if he were to slip. I also noted that his rope was frayed in a couple of places.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    Amazing stuff. How do you trial for such a job? You don't want to be 1000 feet in the air and find out you can't continue, know do you.

For me it's odd in that I can't stand heights but as long as I'm tethered they're no problem. I've leaned out over a 700 foot cliff to get a better look while standing on just a nub of a rock outcropping without any fear at all. Shimmied out on a 6 inch tree branch that was overhanging a 600 foot drop into a subterranean cavern and then absailed to the bottom without the slightest fear. There was so much weight on the rope you had to pull yourself down. Repelled off a bridge 400 feet in the air where we had to kick out and drop about 15 feet first - no sweat... But I can barely walk along a 2x6 only 2 stories up simply because I'm not tied in. Knowing they're not tied in at all causes my guts to tighten.
    I have trouble with heights, but my favorite pastime back in California was renting a plane for an hour doing some aerobatics at lunch. Go figure that one out.

I don't even do well changing the bulb on my yard light that is 15' up on my shop. I don't have a problem with planes but the observation deck at the Sears tower freaks me out and that was before the new glass floor things.

We all have quirks. I was a rock climber and mountaineer for many years before I became old and fat. I have no problem being up 1000+ feet on the face of a cliff or looking down with nothing but air between my feet. I can remember doing an unplanned free solo of the Middle Teton in Wyoming when my wife unexpectedly began to suffer from altitude sickness after we reached the Lower Saddle. The standard route up the west side has a couple of places where if you make an errant step your next stop is a small glacier about 4000 feet below with a couple of bounces on the way. Need less to say I was extemely careful. On the other hand, put me 20 feet up on a ladder and I am truly very very nervous. I think that is that cliffs generaly don't fall down, but ladders can.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Wow . . . not me, no way, no how. Where do they put the porta potties?

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

nope.nope.nope.