Thread: bees wax and raw linseed oil

bees wax and raw linseed oil

Ok so I love useing beews wax and linseed oil I have read that you can combine the 2 to make a finish is this a soft wax when mixed anybody have any idea how its mixed i.e how much of each.....

What are you wanting to finish? I would probaly use boiled linseed oil, not raw oil, but don't know your application.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

As Scot mentioned, it would be unusual to use raw linseed oil for this kind of application. BLO and wax is a common finish for those not wanting or needing a film finish for decorative items and some other projects by preference. Raw linseed doesn't dry and is something that artists use with oil colors where they want it to stay "workable".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Heat the BLO in a double boiler (put the BLO in a container, I like empty quart paint cans from the store, put that in water and heat it). Be careful to heat gently and keep an eye on it. Add a few handfuls of shredded beeswax and mix in until it melts. Let cool. You can play with the amounts until you get the consistency you want.

Honestly I dont really have a project in paritcular that I would be using it on. I have made some serving trays and other items that I try to keep a natural finish on. I was reading in a magazine that you can combine the two to make a finish so I thought I would give it a try. The artical said to use raw linseed oil but it seems to be that I should use blo. insteed which is fine. I plan on purchasing a lathe soon I would think that it would be pretty easy to burish this onto alot of things, its just someting Im wanting to tinker with. but am not sure if I should mix it into a paste or a liquid. the bees wax is kinda hard raw I have used it on my saw handles I like it but its hard just to put it on by hand. most of the time i buff it in with my dremal tool and finsh buffing it out by hand. Casey thanks for your information.
    Last edited by Robert Culver; 12-20-2010 at 7:46 PM.

If you want to try this out without mixing your own first, pick up a small container of the Tried&True oil/beeswax mixture. Obviously, this costs more than combining the ingredients yourself, but it's a nice alternative to check it out.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

thanks jim i didnt know it was avalible so I will look for it. I have heard good things about tried and true