Thread: Wood Counter tops

Wood Counter tops

Can anyone recommend a finish for bathroom vanity countertops. We are still trying to decide on the wood (Teak, Cumaru, Jatoba, etc). I have heard that Epifanes is a good option. Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Epifanes is a great EXTERIOR finish. It is not the best choice for bathroom cabinets.

Exterior finishes are softer and LESS water and vapor proof than interior finishes.

Waterlox Original would be my choice. It's a phenolic resin/tung oil varnish that is top notch.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

My suggestion is to not use wood for the counter. Counters get water on them. No matter what finish you use, the water will get through, and eventually make the wood look bad. Then you'll have to take the whole thing apart, sand off the finish, and repeat the whole cycle. For counters, use something that truly is waterproof: tile, corian, formica, slab stone, or the like.

I have Waterlox on my white oak bath countertop. On year 3 with no issues. Still looks great.

How many coats of Waterlox did you use and what sort of look does it result in? Close to the wood or a high build finish?

You can do either with Waterlox. It comes in Gloss and Satin. 2-3 coats for close to the wood more for added depth. You will need to keep a close eye on these wooden countertops in a bathroom. Any sign of craking or water getting through needs prompt attention.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.