Thread: Question for using HVAC Elbows

Question for using HVAC Elbows

I decided to go with 24 ga. Snap lock HVAC ductwork for my new cyclone as there is a factory here in town and it can be bought very, very reasonably as a result. They didn't make long radius 90's so I thought I would make 45's out of two of the adjustable elbows and put the together to make a longer radius 90. I have turned the 4 segments every which way I can dream of and can't seem go get a 45. Do any of you know the trick? I've made a 30 and a 60 but just can't get the 45. I appreciate any help.

Lucky you to have 24 gauge parts available locally. Just have to play with the elbows till you get them to work. Maybe hook 2 together and twist till you get a 90.

Thats a big saving if you can buy it locally, as per you question you need to buy a 30 degree elbow and place it in the middle of yoor two 90 degree elbow to make a longer sleep. Try that to see if that will works for you.
    Last edited by Ed Boyland; 12-20-2010 at 9:51 PM.

I've always had luck swearing at the top of my voice, then throwing the elbow at the far wall ... HARD. Then, during the drive back to the supply house, chant softly to yourself and all will be well (eventually).

Seriously, I've found the key is rotating only one segment at a time. Sometimes a little WD-40 helps persuade the parts to move. When you get the elbow, it's straight. At 90 degrees, each joint has rotated 180 degrees IIRC. You want to rotate each adjustment half of this (90 degrees) and all the same way. Hope this helps. Remember to chant.
    The problem with education in the School of Hard Knocks is that by the time you're educated, you're too old to do anything.

let me try to remember how we did that....... I retired from sheetmetal work 11 years ago..... Turn each gore about 1/8th of a turn and work from there trial and error. It is tricky but can be done. Good luck. Wd -40 helps for sure.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Franz View Post
    I've always had luck swearing at the top of my voice, then throwing the elbow at the far wall ... HARD. Then, during the drive back to the supply house, chant softly to yourself and all will be well (eventually).

LOL, That is so me.
    Fullerbuilt

I'm just about past the point where throwing them is going to make me feel better. I was looking last night and this particular company makes a two piece 45 degree elbow. I'm going to see if I can't get them and put a piece of pipe between them to extend the radius if you will.

I'm extremely pleased with what I got, the quality is top shelf. They even offered a galvanized flue wye so that the crimps went the correct direction for the air flow. I was able to get the elbows for $4, the wyes for $12 and a 5' piece of 6"'pipe for $8.

Scott.... Where are you? Those price have me jealous. Any chance you're in Colorado? And if so, what's the name of the supplier?

Jim - the 1/8 turn done the trick! The two elbows together made an even better long radius 90 than I was hoping for, thanks for the help.

Joe I'm in southwest Ohio and the factory is called sealtite.