View Poll Results: Which did you spend the most on?

Voters
1162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Saw

122 10.50%
  • Dust Collector

58 4.99%
  • Drill Press

4 0.34%
  • Jointer

50 4.30%
  • Lathe

200 17.21%
  • Planer

77 6.63%
  • Sander/Surfacer

43 3.70%
  • Shaper

9 0.77%
  • Table Saw

506 43.55%
  • Other

93 8.00%
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Lathe. I spent the summer in restoration mode for the Powermatic 45. And I found so many friends too!
    The last time I saw the light at the end of the tunnel it was another train heading at me...

I voted tablesaw but my jointer was about the same price.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

You know, this poll and thread are still open for all you new comers...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I voted band saw way back since it was and still is the only new tool, but if this were today I would have to vote other. Adding up my recent hand tools purchases alone in the past 2 months over shadows any corded tool purchase.
    Last edited by David Nelson1; 02-08-2013 at 10:11 AM.

Wow still going??? I don't remember if I posted here so......I guess I'll just do it again

If it's just for an individual machine I'd have to say I have the most invested in my shaper. The upfront price was pretty low, but I spent a couple thousand more on the rebuild. Now total investment it would be the dust collector WITH pipe. The collector itself wasn't bad, but I have over $4k in just ductwork.....so far

JeffD

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    Wow still going??? I don't remember if I posted here so......I guess I'll just do it again

If it's just for an individual machine I'd have to say I have the most invested in my shaper. The upfront price was pretty low, but I spent a couple thousand more on the rebuild. Now total investment it would be the dust collector WITH pipe. The collector itself wasn't bad, but I have over $4k in just ductwork.....so far

JeffD
    I went with planer first. But since then, I've spent more than double that on my DC system. That is the most, unless you count the shop building itself.

Kirk

For those of us with a multitool, e.g. Robland, you might consider adding a category "Multitool" to isolate such predicatable responses. With a multitool participant, then the question becomes what is the 2nd tool you invested the most into.
    John L. Poole

Yeah, John, there were a lot of people that said they had planer/jointer combos, or all-in-one machines like a Shopmith that had to chose "other". Unfortunately, when I first did this poll, I had 10 poll choices to make. I wish I had had 15... And with only 3 people out of over 1000 responders picking Drill Press, I suppose I could have eliminated that one. But the other side of the coin is that by having Drill Press, it shows that there are some that either made that machine a priority or that is where they didn't skimp. Had I not put it in, I would never have known. Again, wish I had had 15 to 20 options so I could have included things like Shopsmiths, combo machines, disc sanders, router tables, etc...
    I drink, therefore I am.

It was close for me between the TS and the BS...I mean literally a bout 25 dollars. But I think the BS won, at least if I'm remembering right. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

10. Safety speed cut 7400, used only a couple of times by the previous owner...no blemishes on it anywhere...picked it up on craigslist for less than half a new one.(4800)...could sell it easily for at least a thousand more.

Wow, now that IS expensive...especially for used!

Hey 1111 votes!!!!! Woohooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I drink, therefore I am.

My wifes new Yukon after I bought an 8" jointer and 15" planer without talking to her first. I now put the cost of the jointer and planer at about $43,000.

Beautiful, Jim. So, I guess you voted for "other"... Now why didn't I think of putting "Yukon" as one of the choices?
    I drink, therefore I am.