View Poll Results: Which did you spend the most on?

Voters
1162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Band Saw

122 10.50%
  • Dust Collector

58 4.99%
  • Drill Press

4 0.34%
  • Jointer

50 4.30%
  • Lathe

200 17.21%
  • Planer

77 6.63%
  • Sander/Surfacer

43 3.70%
  • Shaper

9 0.77%
  • Table Saw

506 43.55%
  • Other

93 8.00%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Which piece of equipment did you spend the most on?

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Smallwood View Post
    I certainly understand that, for you, equipment is a necessary evil or simply a means to an end. Cool, more power to you, and while I'm absolutely certain your comments were not intended to offend anyone, they did come across as though you were being a bit judgmental which I don't think was your intent.
    Thanks, Didnt mean for the post to sound judgmental it was just that other than for insurance I really had no idea why you would take an accounting of such things. I dont mean to sound like property value is not important, I am a tool junkie just like the rest of them, and I value my tools.

I can understand fully having many, or changing hobbies, but it would seem to me after getting a few thousand dollars in you had better be fairly firmly planted. Accidents and misfortune are around every corner but there is really not a lot I can do about that. With my luck, and most I have known, the tool market will be at a record low the day I need to unload so I really dont worry about it.

Mark

Other

Dewalt, 12 inch sliding compount miter saw. Only one of two power tools in the shop that I bought new. The other was a lunch box planer - Dewalt's 12 inch version..

Blog Entries
    I voted tablesaw but bandsaw was about the same. I bought these two new in the last two years. With attachments (blades, dadoes, Incra miter, etc) the table saw is still out front. Blades for BS are cheaper than TS and I bought an upgrade so I got the resaw fence. Either would be a good #1 vote but I haven't got a DC yet.

Joe, you are another perfect example of my intended meaning of this thread...just because what you spent the most on doesn't make it the biggest or highest "valued" piece in the shop. You just happened to get it new. With tax, my Dewalt miter saw cost more than my Uni, but the question wasn't which one is a more expensive machine, rather which one did I pay more for. Ya know, miter saw was originally one of the 10 options, but I had to drop one of them for "other"...and you ended up falling into that one!
    I drink, therefore I am.

I didn't vote because I have 3 that are within about 50.00 of each other. Of the 3, the new TS is probably the lowest since I got it at a killer deal. The bandsaw was 995.00 + tax and shipping, and the cyclone with all the ducting was right in there too. Of the 3, the BS had the highest normal price if that makes a difference. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

No, Jim, no! That doesn't make a difference. The question is which one did you spend the most on. If you got a $3000 dust collector for $100 (awesome deal, eh?) then the $1000 TS wins out. So, go ahead-n-vote!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Tennant Creek , Northern Territory, Australia.
    Vicmarc VL300 Both the most used and the most expensive.

You know, I never thought of the DC when I answered the post. In my case it didn't matter, but it is the second most expensive tool I bought.

1. Felder table saw/shaper....bought during my brief 'wealthy period'.
    2. Onieda 3 HP gorilla....bought after getting tired of a series of ever larger bag units. Includes ductwork and gates.
    3. Woodmaster 36" drum sander.

In order:
    1. Sliding panel saw; 9' stroke
    2. Planer 24 inch
    3. Jointer 16"
    4. Slot Mortiser
    5. Drill press
    6. Hollow chisel Mortiser.

My Oliver 399 planer was $900, and I spent another $600 on bearings, knives, and electrical. So $1500, which is still probably only 1/8th the price of a new equivalent machine.

Kirk

Well, with 246 votes in, it is no surprise (to me) that the TS is leader by a large margin at almost 50%. I have to admit that I am almost surprised at the BS coming in second. Then the Lathe. With DC, Planer and Other coming in just about a 3 way tie. I did notice, however, that some put other when they had a Planer/Jointer. Which I suppose wasn't an option. I wish I could have had about 15 or so options so it would have been a little more accurate. I really figured that DP wouldn't be a high scorer, but since it is such a big part of just about any shop, I didn't want to not include it. I have to say, that I thought the Planer and Surfacer/Sander would have been higher up there. I would have guessed DC to be second...with all the cyclones out there. But I have a feeling that many that bought high dollar cyclones also bought some Felder or SS that trumped it.

Anyway, thanks all, for participating. By all means, no need to stop now. Feel free to keep voting and adding comments. Just wanted to say thanks...
    Last edited by Mike Cruz; 12-24-2010 at 10:35 AM.
    I drink, therefore I am.

My slider was the largest financial investment for a single tool.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Even though I bought it at a good discount back in 1988, my 3 hp Uni-saw with low voltage controls, Uni-fence, and Uni-Guard set me back more than I wanted to spend, but I've never regretted spending the money.

WOW, 272 votes! I really didn't expect it. Makes me wonder what the most number of votes to a poll was. I have a feeling it was a lot more, but I'm curious none the less...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Would have to be a way to find out no? Perhaps ask one of the mods or in the tech support? Pretty impressive turnout none the less.

Mark