Thread: The "Best" dust collection system....my opinions

The "Best" dust collection system....my opinions

So I'm looking at everything in retrospect, and I have some observations and opinions on optimizing dust collection from a very practical standpoint.

Thanks to my Dylos, I'm finding it practically impossible to truly do adequate dust collection. I can collect chips, and I can collect most fine dust....I can even keep my filters from clogging with the Clearvue, but it's not getting me where I think I should be. It's not the Clearvue's fault. It's the fault of the dust collection scheme at the tool.

So I'm switching to an airstream helmet. I wear a visor all day now, and I tried the Airstream and it's as comfortable as anything else on the market. After a few minutes, you forget you're wearing it. That keeps my lungs more or less safe.

My JDS air cleaner catches what my dust collector doesn't....eventually.

My Clearvue does a great job, but the dust collection on most of my tools is pitiful just because of the design of the tools.

If I had it to do all over again, a positive pressure headgear of some sort would be in my protection scheme from day one. A quality air cleaner would be next. After that would be the best dust collection I could afford (which would still be the Clearvue for me). All this followed by a Dylos so that I know what's working and what's not.

I guess my point is that a good positive pressure mask takes a lot of pressure off your dust collection scheme, plus you get eye and ear protection as well. They're comfortable enough that you completely forget about them after a few minutes. No more fumbling for face masks. No more looking for safety glasses. Nothing. Just put it on in the morning and WORK. That's it.

Just some random thoughts for you guys out there setting up shop. Unless you're willing to spend gobs of time modifying your tools and/or concocting fine dust collection hoods and systems, I'm finding the dust collection problem to be nearly hopeless from a practical standpoint until tool manufacturers redesign their products with dust collection as a priority AND all of us can afford large dust collectors. In the meantime, protective headgear seems to solve a number of problems simultaneously for a reasonable amount of $$$, and allow us to work with what's readily available.

Again, just some random thoughts with a perspective that's not often talked about here.

John, I haven't followed your dust collection pursuits. It sounds like you have developed some severe allergies, did they arise with exposure over time? How much time per week do you get exposed? I'm just a hobbiest but I've spent a lot of time studying dust collection challenges and I agree that tool mods are one of the most important. There is so much garbage information out there from manufacturers and self-proclaimed experts. Most of the garbage info is around duct diameter and design.

I don't (YET) have allergies fortunately so I haven't considered a helmet. But what I have concluded is that essentially all commercial systems with more than 2-3HP are designed for more than one machine gate open at a time. More HP in these designs won't pull any more CFM through a given machine. Increasing the duct from 5" to 6" won't help in most cases either as the machine port is the limt. The real solution is a collector design that generates higher pressure. With higher pressure you can pull more CFM through the machine port. About a year and a half ago I was at the big WW show in Vegas and I shared my thoughts with the owner and designer at Oneida. I planted a seed and this summer they introduced a 3HP model that pulls more pressure. This approach will pull more CFM through a machine port.

Think about it with the garden hose analogy. Three things determine how much water flows out the end of the nozzle.
    1) The water pressure
    2) The size of the opening on the nozzle
    3) The inside diameter of the hose.

Open the valve all the way and keep the nozzle closed and a no water comes out. Open the nozzel 10% and some water comes out. Now, put a larger diameter hose on but keep the nozzle open 10% and as long as the original hose wasn't limiting the flow, no more water comes out.

re: allergies

Nope, no allergies. I started wearing headgear when I started turning. I can't wear any sort of respirator under the head gear so I'm at the mercy of my DC system. i found over time, however, that the headgear is perfectly comfortable and is actually quite a bit more convenient than constantly fumbling for safety glasses. It's especially convenient when I'm not wearing contacts as safety glasses over regular glasses is the pits. The logical next step was simply to change to a positive pressure system, thereby killing two birds with one stone.

What I'm discovering, though, is I don't care how much you're sucking through a pipe, if you don't physically trap the dust right where it's made, you're just never going to get it all, high pressure or not. It's just coming off the cutting edge too quickly. I guess at some point you'll get it all but that's just starting to seem like the hard way of solving a much simpler problem of healthy air.

I only have to worry about it when I'm actively running my power tools. After I've switched to hand tools, the air cleaner will get things clean in about 20 or 30 minutes or so, according to the Dylos. Anyhow, like I said it also completely alleviates fumbling for safety glasses and my whole work experience is far more pleasant because it's one less thing to think about. I know it may seem counterintuitive that a mask in convenient, but I hope it makes sense.

I wear a helmet with visor and integrated ear muffs whenever cutting, but I take it off as soon as I cut the power. I shudder to think about wearing that beast with a waist pack all day. I only get limited time in my hobby shop and since I switched to Festool sanders with a great vac my fine dust is WAY down.

Do you have the Triton? If the Trend Airshield is a carver's mallet, the Triton is a sledge hammer. The 3M Airstream is a very nice unit as well, but it's 2X as much money. If you do have the Triton, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend all day in it.

John, I'm in complete agreement with you here. I started a "dust shroud / hood " thread to try to gather info on modding tools to achieve better pickup, as I find that to be the crux of the matter too. But I've suspected the hood/filter is the real way to be sure.

Can you share any research info or conclusions you've made from looking at respirators, to save those of us who haven't researched it yet some time? What's on the market, what's the prices, what's the plus/minus of the offerings, what's the "best"?

My only remaining big tool is a lathe, and I've successfully stiff-armed the vortex for years now, but with retirement and free time just months away I see myself buying a lathe and some sort of head-gear for it's use--and I'd rather just get the full monty and have face shield, filtration, hearing, etc.

Thanks!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Research and conclusions....well, I have to admit that I didn't dig very deeply but then again, choices are somewhat limited. I checked out the Triton, the Trend and the 3M. I ruled out the Triton because it's ungainly, plus the battery only lasts four hours and a spare "powerpack" is an additional $140. The 3M and the Trend are more like a regular face mask. I haven't been able to see a 3M but I believe it is probably a better mask than the Trend. I like that the batteries in the 3M fit on your belt as that takes weight out of headgear. The Trend is very light anyway and is about 1/2 the price of the 3M. It's even less than that for me because I can get a pretty significant discount on it through someone I know. Honestly, I think it's a tossup between the two, though the 3M is NIOSH rated, I believe. Trend has UK ratings but no NIOSH rating so anyone using this for OSHA compliance may need to choose the 3M.

Again, it's remarkable how quickly you get accustomed to wearing a facemask. I just put it on when I enter the shop and I completely forget about it. It's liberating to be able to grab whatever tool I want and immediately work, getting my eyes exactly where I need them, without the constant worry about finding my safety glasses, picking up a chip, holding my breath, etc. So much faster!

Excellent post John. I'm just in the process of hooking up my (two year old now) cyclone and you make great points. For health issues the helmet may be the way to go. I just wanted to point out that it still would have two issues:
    1. it would not address ANY cleaner shop issues
    2. may be a problem for those of us who need "close vision" help from time to time

Otherwise it sounds like the best available option right now for the lungs