Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fences do not make good neighbors

Fences do not make good neighbors

Last week I discovered a black mesh fence staked into the ground at the edge of my driveway from the street to the back of the lot. I approached my neighbor about it to see if he knows where it came from. He informed me that he put it in because he was tired of yard debris from my yard blowing into his yard and proceeded to lecture me about yard maintenance as if I was a five year old who needs to clean his room. He did not stop by and discuss it before hand, he just put up the fence.

I admit that I have been behind on my yard due to a long business trip last fall and poor health this spring. I have been working on it when my health permits and right now only the back yard needs more attention.

Am I wrong to feel slighted? At what point should I pull this fence down, given that it is on my property. I am tempted to do it now, but I am going to take the high road and leave it up for now until I get the back yard into better shape.

How would you handle this?

Thanks,

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I'd pull it right out. He can have his stupid fence, as long as it's actually on his property.

Unless there is some local ordinance, that says your leaves can't blow wherever the wind takes them, I'd call the local authorities and ask them to pay him a visit the next time they are in the area.

On the plus side, at least it wasn't some cowardly, semi threatening, anonymous letter...

It sounds like you two are not friends now, so perhaps there is nothing to lose by removing the fence. It took a lot of nerve for this guy to do what he did, so it's not like you need to be too nice about it. Be aware though that an all out feud with the people next door is a true pain in the butt.

That said, since it is on your property it is your fence now, so take it down but do not give it back to him to put back up.

Good luck,

Marc

It's on your property. Pull it up and leave it in a nice neat pile on his lawn. If he wants to put it back up on his property that's his business.
    Have a Good One,
    Brent

SPCHT

I would have told him right then and there to take it down. And let him know that putting anything up on your property without your permission is inexcusable. Some people have a lot of nerve!
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

It needs to be on his property.

Maybe relations with the neighbor will improve as the conditions of your yard does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Effinger View Post
    I would have told him right then and there to take it down.
    I would not be surprised if the OP was so shocked that there are a few things he wishes he would have done at the time. I have been known to have rare moments of speechlessness in the face of blatantl stupidity myself every now and then. I agree the guy should have knocked on your door and asked about the stuff blowing into his yard. He must have known there would be a confrontation when the fence appeared so why not have the confrontation before acting like a spoiled brat?

At any rate it is now been made your responsibility to deal with his actions (another thing I don't abide) kinda like junk mail; you didn't ask for it but now you have to deal with it. I guess maybe a return lecture about property lines and such might do but as someone else stated, a neighbor-feud can really get to be a pain.

One thing cannot be ignored, the fence is his and belongs on his property, I don't envy any of you folks that have "those people" for neighbors.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-11-2009 at 4:40 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Option #1 - I would go tell him the fence is on your property and he needs to move it. If he says he isn't going to, tell him you are taking it down and ask him where he wants it. If he won't answer, tell him you are going to take it down and throw it away if he doesn't want it. Give him a date to have it gone. He has choices. He's probably going to get mad but that's his problem.
    OPtion #2 - Clean your yard then tear the fence down and throw it away. That should properly irritate him.
    I'd p[robably go with option one so he understands where your property is and you are doing nothing to offend him though he will probably get mad anyway.

What about a short handwritten note to the effect that:

After considering our discussion further, I am asking you to remove the fence that you installed. I understand your feelings about yard debris, but want you to recognize that installation of fencing on another person's property without consent is neither legal nor neighborly. You are, of course, free to reinstall the fencing on your own property. Should you elect not to remove it, I will remove the fencing, consider the materials as debris left on my property, and dispose of it.

I recognize that you feel strongly about the yard debris that you perceive as emanating from my yard. I will say, that due to business travel and health reasons, my yard is not in the condition I would ideally like it to be in. With that in mind, I will endeavor to work on maintaining things on a more regular schedule.

Maybe a bit of sugar to help the vinegar go down, or whatever they say.

PS. I find it somewhat odd that aesthetically he prefers a black mesh fence staked into the ground that some stuff that may make it into his yard. I think you may just live next door to Oscar the Grouch.
    Last edited by Eric DeSilva; 05-11-2009 at 5:06 PM. Reason: Added PS

11. If you are sure of he property lines your neighbor has committed a trespass and inflicted a harm. You can make him pay.

You can pull it up yourself and be done with it ( you hope).

Or you can get a new surveyance and make sure you are in the right place and then pull it up.

Or you can rely on an older survey and hire the most expensive contractor you can find (KBR or Halliburton). To come an pull it up and invoice the neighbor after you pay the bill.

Then when they don't pay you can sue 'em.

If in fact you know it to be on your property, that is trespassing and vandalism, just like they had egged your house or thrown paint on your car. You could call the police and prosecute them.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rohrabacher View Post
    Or you can rely on an older survey and hire the most expensive contractor you can find (KBR or Halliburton). To come an pull it up and invoice the neighbor after you pay the bill. Then when they don't pay you can sue 'em.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    You could call the police and prosecute them.
    Perhaps all true, but in the end... I have a friend involved in what is just this side of a shooting war with his next door neighbor. Seems to consume a lot of energy for both of them, and they are both too damn stubborn for a peaceful reconciliation. Think hard before you end up there, 'cos even if you are right, you might end up hatin' life.

How would I handle this? If the fence was 100% on my land I would just remove it and throw it away. He can keep buying fences for all I care.

So if he had moved into a house next to a vacant lot, who would he be trying to blame for stuff blowing into his yard? In the meantime, you found a free fence on your property and are free to do with it as you will. Wonder how much you could get for that on craigslist?
    Use the fence Luke