Thread: When You Make That 12' Birdsmouth Boathook for the Dock...

When You Make That 12' Birdsmouth Boathook for the Dock...

...make it stronger.

Gave way after 5 seasons of shuffling boats around and breaking ice...that passion for perfect wood-metal fit war my undoing, and I get to dry it out, turn a plug, and fit it again.

Looking at it, am surprised it lasted as long as it did.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 01-21-2005 at 2:32 PM.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Did you have to dive for it?

Through the ice.
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Ouch!

Maurice

I start a 1" Forstner bit in the existing hole by tapping it in like a chisel before boring out the hole:

A White Oak plug is turned to fit both the shaft hole and the bronze head:

The shaft fitted to the head by tapping, twisting, and taking off the high spots until it is fully seated:

And everything epoxied together:

A little fairing left to do and a little paint on that joint for protection and it goes back into service.

Off subject a bit, but great pictures of the fix.

John