Thread: Corded Drill

Corded Drill

I'm looking for a 1/2" 6 amp minimum corded drill that can be used with one hand. Must also have a keyed chuck.

I have a great 18v cordless but some of the drilling I do runs down the battery so I don't get the torque. It also has a keyless chuck which I replaced with a "better" keyless only because I couldn't find a keyed chuck at that time. I've had bad luck with keyless chucks. They always slip.

Most of the drills I've found are very close to my requirement but have 3/8" chucks. I use large bits, most with 1/2" shanks.

My monster drill has a keyed chuck and has never slipped. Unfortunately, it feels like it weights 300 lbs so it requires 2 hands to hold.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Burt

Burt,

I was in a similar position. I looked for an older Milwaukee drill with Made in USA printed on it.

There are many good 1/2 drills that would serve you well.

Happy hunting,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Alcantara View Post
    I'm looking for a 1/2" 6 amp minimum corded drill that can be used with one hand. Must also have a keyed chuck.

I have a great 18v cordless but some of the drilling I do runs down the battery so I don't get the torque. It also has a keyless chuck which I replaced with a "better" keyless only because I couldn't find a keyed chuck at that time. I've had bad luck with keyless chucks. They always slip.

Most of the drills I've found are very close to my requirement but have 3/8" chucks. I use large bits, most with 1/2" shanks.

My monster drill has a keyed chuck and has never slipped. Unfortunately, it feels like it weights 300 lbs so it requires 2 hands to hold.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Burt

I bought this Milwaukee 1/2" corded drill, #0234-6, last year and the build quality is amazing. It's 5.5 amps, but it is crazy powerful.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0234...3641345&sr=8-3

When I bought it was still made in the USA too, not sure if they still are. I just looked online and then make an 8 amp one too. Not sure if it's in your price range. I also have a Bosch 1/2" hammer drill and IMHO the Milwaukee feels much more solid and the 5.5 amp Milwaukee feels more powerful than the 8 amp Bosch.
    Last edited by Joe Jensen; 12-29-2010 at 11:55 AM.

I've owned the drill Joe posted a link to for about a decade. Mine is abused, it drills holes, runs tuggers or winches, and sees a lot of hole saw use.

Great drill.................Rod.

I have two employees that have the Milwaukee Magnum mentioned. I would agree that they are all the power you would want in anything you would use with one hand. Probably more than you would want. They work well but both had switch failures after a couple years use. This is a minor fix and wouldn't stop me from buying one. Based on the one a friend just purchased, this seems to be something Milwaukee's new owners haven't screwed up, YET.

Keyless chucks work much better in higher end machines. A good keyless chuck probably costs most of what this drill sells for. My Bosch 36v cordless has this much power but weighs more. It must be used with two hands on bigger bits because it will rotate me around the work if you aren't ready.

Yep- I've got that same Milwaukee drill too.

Love it.

I have the same drill with a keyless chuck. Plenty of power and should will last a lifetime for me.

John

i have yet to use a Milwaukee tool that wasn't a very good tool and they will run for years and years even if you use them hard

I just got oone of these. Looks brand new.
    http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hi...d)___i297.aspx

Yep..ive got a milwaukee magnum 1/2 with the removeable cord. Ive had it for 20 years and can still get parts /accessories for it.
    available accessories: a gear deduction right angle adaptor which allows me to drill a 3'' hole hawg bit between 2x10 inch floor joists for plumbing in about 30 seconds, a drill extension housing that enables you to stand on the floor while drilling into overhead ceiling joists, a
    25 and 50 foot rubberised cord that eliminates snagging extension cords while your climbing up a ladder.
    I recommend going to an industrial tool supply to choose..stay away from the borgs if you want the best of milwaukee products...
    One thing tho...dont operate it one handed while drilling anything where the bit wont break first...it will break you instead!
    If I had to buy one again....i would still pay twice over what the borgs are selling theirs for IF its the ole metal gear housing with a detachable cord version. By the way...the detacheable extension cord can also be used with the similar version of sawzall and hammer drill.
    There will never be a shortage of folks telling you why you can't or shouldn't do something...even though much has been accomplished that hasn't been done before !