Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw accident

Bandsaw accident

I was working on the bandsaw this Sunday afternoon and had a bit of a brainfade.

Result, a bad cut on my right hand just behind the index finger, a visit to the hospital and three stitches.

It is very deep and very painful and I've got some gory pictures that I'm keeping for myself.
    I've already mopped the blood of the floor.

That is what happens when you work while emotionally upset about things.

Interesting enough that when I was in VoTech school, learning to be a machinist, the instructor told us that the band saw was the most dangerous machine in the shop, because it has a very large exposed blade. Most woodworkers feel that it is a lot safer than the table saw. I'm not really sure. I do know that they will both cut your fingers off very quickly.
    I hope you're not hurt bad. Three stitches probably means you were lucky.
    The Plane Anarchist

Sad to hear about your accident, but sounds like it could have been worse. I have to be especially careful around the band saw with small pieces. The band saw lulls me into complacency when I use it for a while. It seems so harmless compared to other power tools.

Here's to a fast recovery. Hope it doesn't keep you away from the shop to long. I know what you say that you have to have your head in the game while in the shop. It's no place for the mind to wander. I would absolutely put the table saw in front of every tool in my shop as the most dangerous but all of them can bite..

Always sad news;

Leigh--I too fear the bandsaw more than the tablesaw.

Just like you,sometimes it just don't pay to work in the shop when only part of the mind is focus.I for one feel that the BS is the safest,it never throws stuff at ya.Keep a sharp mine and get back in the shop---Carroll

The bandsaw is one of the "safest" tools in the shop.

As such, I am particularly careful with it. Most accidents have multiple contributing causes, and my "opinion" that the bandsaw is safe is especially dangerous.

Sort of like when I was into mountaineering---the really difficult stuff was approached with care and caution, but the easy decent was the place most accidents happen, when you are tired and mentally not focused...

Hope you heal up fast,

Steve

Blog Entries
    Jacque...hope it isn't to bad. Like you, I haven't been in the best frame of mind lately either. I have had a deep personal and emotional thing I have been dealing with for about a month now and it has been messing with my head constantly. Yes, I have been in the shop..and even on the bandsaw. I agree that the bandsaw is probably the most dangerous in the shop.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

I hate to hear about accidents like this. I've gone on record saying I probably have more time on a band saw than anyone on this forum. I've made a living (45 years) cutting letters on a band saw. Luckily, I have never cut myself. However, the main reason for this is consistency of material that I use. If you cut, say MDF hours on end, you have the same resistance from the material. You should never cut with a dull blade. Hardwoods are the most dangerous because of grain variation. Your blade is under different stress conditions when you cut with the grain opposed to against the grain. You hit smooth spots and the blade cuts faster with less resistance. Therefore, the sharper the blade the better. Never force the work. If you do, you are asking for trouble. You have to know when to push with one hand and guide with the other. Slow, methodical cutting is a must. Every time I turn on a machine, I see my finger laying on the table. Never think it can't happen to you. I could lose a digit or two tomorrow. The good news is you reported that you had "stitches". You still have your finger, you lucky dog. Heal and learn. Hope your better very soon.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I'd like to add that we could discuss what machine is the most dangerous. Let's just say that every hand tool and machine is as dangerous as you are careless.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

I'm always a bit concerned when a thread such as this has repeated use of the word "fear." I'm a firm believer that power tools of any kind should be approached with a confident respect, not fear. Fear engenders paralysis both physically and mentally; you just aren't "in the game" if you fear a certain tool. Don't forget that a handsaw can do almost everything a band saw can, a plane can replace a jointer, a good router plane can cut great dadoes. Tools don't need tails to produced good results.

If you "fear" a certain tool, think about a way to do the work in another way. This endeavor is supposed to be FUN, not mind numbing drudgery.

Rant off.

Jacques: very glad you weren't hurt any worse.

Happy New Year, folks.

Doug

Jacques - speedy recovery prayers sent your way my friend. I hated reading that note today. Keep it clean and as it heals up use lots of neosporin with pain relief!! That stuff is really nice!

That reminds me...

You folks keep a first aid kit in your shop? I was noticing some of the items in there have expired in mind. Time to refresh it up a bit. I use one from Sams Club but they can easily be made. Amazing how handy it is when you are out there for hours. Save me a trip to the house for advil or bandaids etc!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Jacques, I'm very sorry to hear about this. Thanks for posting it though. The reminders to stay alert and focused never get old. You are right, when emotionally distracted, wwing while a VERY easy draw (that and chocolate and beer) is NOT a safe choice. Speedy recovery, and you know what, as long as there is ample warning, I personally think that posting the pics is a good thing. Hearing about what happened is a great reminder. SEEING the results lasts a bit longer... IMO, post the pics.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Sorry to hear bout your accident... Hope you have a speedy recovery and glad it wasn't worse,.....

Heal quickly.

I couldn't agree more: I've heard people say that they spend time in their shops to "take their mind off of things."

I can't work that way.

If I'm not "all in," I won't run anything but the ShopVac !