Thread: Porter Cable Router Bits

Porter Cable Router Bits

Has anyone tried Porter Cable router bits? They are fairly new to the market. Not sure who makes them for PC.

Brian

They've been around for quite some time. Just not marketed like others.
    Not sure who makes them either. Nice bits, but generally higher priced than whiteside.
    I have a few spirals and straight bits from them. Not used to often.

I've got one of those mini Home Depots in my older neighborhood. To fit in the smaller-than-usual box, they only carry one line of router bits--Porter-Cable.

At first I was dubious, really liking all my CMTs and Amanas, but after being forced to make a copule of Sunday purchases, I'm actually quite impressed with the PCs. They've got a thick carbide and are relatively well ground but still need a little diamond honing to put the keen edge on.

Considering that Porter-Cable and Oldham have had the same parent owner for quite awhile, Pentair and now Black & Decker, I'm guessing that Oldham makes them for Porter-Cable to Porter-Cable specs as they appear to be a little better quality than Oldham bits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sweeney
    Considering that Porter-Cable and Oldham have had the same parent owner for quite awhile, Pentair and now Black & Decker, I'm guessing that Oldham makes them for Porter-Cable to Porter-Cable specs as they appear to be a little better quality than Oldham bits.
    I would guess that you are 100% correct I read that maybe 2 years ago, that Oldham (With also is a part of Viper bits as well! at least I read that.) was indeed the manufacture of the Porter Cable router bits.

If we were to know the complete story, we'd probably be shocked. I would bet that there are no more then maybe a dozen factories that produce router bits. And from there they get who ever`s name on them.