Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ya' gotta know your limits!

Ya' gotta know your limits!

Well, I turned my first ever funnel tonight! I decided to go try my new steady rest on a maple blank and was turning a smallish [think 5 -6 inches high] maple vase with a really nice form.

I just had to go back for those last two or three passes on the hollowing to smooth everything out, and get it nice and thin............well I was eyeballing it, and did not take time to measure with the calipers.........I mean, I had never went too far before, so whats the problem right?

Gee whiz! I was really liking this one, even though I was using the old hand held tools to hollow with..........I could just kick myself! Ya gotta know your limits, and I did not!

Now, I've got an egg cup for the bottom half, and a funny looking funnel for the top! At least there was one positive............my shop made steady rest works like a charm!
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 12-31-2010 at 9:54 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Yup... Welcome to the world of hollowing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Roger,

When the idiots here first pushed me into the Vortex, they had a funnel making contest just so I could past the hurdle. Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

funnels are useful ...................... at least thats what i tell myself

Funnels need love too...right?!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Roger, normally pics are required for a post to be believable, but in this case, we believe you!!! And, I will note that while I am pretty sure the invention of the laser was for other purposes, surely, using it for turning HFs is one of the most useful purposes!!

John & Steve,

Tell me, did either of you ever turn a funnel when hollowing? Be careful now, I want the unvarnished truth!

Is turning a funnel a prerequisite for becoming a master in turning? I need something to encourage me and give me hope for the future, elsewise, I might just become disillusioned at my heroes in turning.

I think I must have gotten Norm Abrams advice backwards.........he said, "measure twice, cut once," I think I cut twice and did not measure so now at least I had better get set in my mind to use those calipers that I let just hang there on my magnetic strip on my turning cart.

Roger you have just joined the club. I keep one above the lathe to remind me everytime I want to take one final cut.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Square off the cut through parts glue on some contrasting wood, delete this thread and start a new thread announcing your first segmented hollow forum! No one will ever know.

Roger, I have not made a funnel with a HF, but I sure did with a goblet!! I was trying to turn it ultra thin - and, was successful! The only thing holding it together was a single layer of wood cells. Apparently, it wasn't sufficient to withstand the spin of the lathe.

When I first started the hollow forms, doing them "pre-Monster rig", I was ultra careful. Also, the calipers can be very deceptive unless you measure across the thickness accurately. It is easy to have them at a slight angle, giving a reading of more thickness than is there. I actually used a depth gauge (just a dowel) moreso than calipers. Sound is also a great indicator of thickness. Pecking on the form with a metal object and listening for slight variations in tone. Takes a lot longer, but works.

Hi Roger;
    Yes a funnel was in my past... probably also in my future.
    I like Paul's suggestion and would like to see the really nice HF that you have in progress, it just needs a little TLC and an insert to become a final form.
    I hope you try to fix it. Fixing little things like this are called "design opportunities"
    good luck
    Peter F.

Roger - in all honesty - I have not turned a hollow form funnel - yet. But there is a reason for that - I use a tenon to hold the work and when finished I always reverse and turn the tenon into a slight recess. No matter how thin the hollow form, hopefully, I leave enough wood at the bottom to allow for the recess.

I did turn a couple of bowls that when held to the light - you could see light through the bottom recess. Didn't go all the way through but scared me enough that I really try to pay attention when hollowing! Doesn't mean I won't turn a funnel at some point.... I just try to be aware of when the piece is getting to that dangerously thin phase!
    Steve

Paul,

I think the small size of this one, and the razor thin edge where I hollowed thru are not conducive to putting a contrasting ring on it to make it segmented, if I did it would have to be most of the body with a maple top!

John and Steve, thank you for admitting you have not turned a HF funnel as of yet ............now I am feeling more aggravated at myself, because, as I supposed, it is NOT inevitable!

Bernie, if you were near, I might want to borrow a shoulder to cry on [just kidding] that piece did not mean that much!

Seriously.......I appreciate all your responses..........I am having fun on this forum!

Roger - one other thing to take into consideration - I use a laser! Once you get used to using one - you know where you are at all times while inside the form. Haven't used calipers for a long time - but I do have them!
    Steve

I have a nice chunk of cherry with a great bark inclusion that shedded a neck - then decided it did not want to be a bowl either. So its on top of the pile for pieces that need other pieces. Lesser wood has just gone to the fireplace!