Thread: Proximity sensor for dustbin?

Proximity sensor for dustbin?

Is anyone using a proximity sensor to monitor the sawdust level in their dust bin? My cyclone is mounted outside in a storage area, and am tired of over filling it. Was going to cut a hole in the wall and put a window so I could see the hose, but think a sensor would work better.

I use to have the same problem. I would over fill the barrel then by the time I notoced it, the filter was nearly full too. The way I solved it was to vent directly outside and bypass the filters completly. The removal of the filters increased my airflow and now I do not have to worry about packing the filters full any longer. I know then the barrel is full now by looking outside and if I see dust coming out of the exhaust of the cyclone, it is time to dump the barrel.

I also thought about installing a bin sensor but the method I chose works well and does not cause any issues.

Gary
    "Chaos is the law of nature. Order is the dream of man."
    Wallace Stegner

Oneida and Pen State make sensors. After I recover from my year-end spending, I'm going to order the one from Oneida.

I installed an Oneida kit. About $120 but easy and it works.

http://store.oneida-air.com/dustsentry.aspx
    Bartee Lamar

Bartee,
    Is there manufacturers name on the sensor? I would like to buy just the sensor and wire it into my system.

Steve Costain

I do not recall the name... but I know it was mentioned in this forum. So yes, I know you can buy just the sensor because I checked out the site. Good luck

I built a DIY optical version with a Day-Night lamppost sensor and an LED light bulb for additional illumination. I mounted it at the bottom of my cyclone where the air is still swirling so dust doesn't build up on the sensor or light windows. As originally built with an incandescant bulb, the total cost was less than $20. I wired it to shut my DC off. I believe there is a post about it here somewhere. It worked great for over two years until I replaced it with an IRLED version built by my brother that I was planning to market.