Thread: What finish

What finish

What finish would you use on maple that would not darken it much, but still pop the figure? Sorry if this has already been discussed, too lazy to search.

Ray, I would probably use brush on lacquer, or shellac. The shellac will have a slight amber tone. You could also use some of the waterbased acrylic finishes, but I have no experience with those. They probably will raise the grain a little, and after the first coat, you may need to lightly sand to knock down the nubs.

John is right that lacquer or waterbased acrylics won't darken the wood but have found that it won't pop the grain like a oil finish will. I just finished a table top with Clear Seal waterbased poly acrylic and it did not discolor the maple at all. It is a clear waterbased finish for floors and it is tough. It will raise the grain with the first coat and must be sanded. I sanded with 400 grit ROS on each thin coat I applied. I am going to try it on some turnings to see how it works.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm assuming there's some curl in the maple. Jeff Jewitt described a method to pop curly maple by dyeing with a diluted aniline dye, then sanding back, then oiling, then topcoating. I have not tried, but I bet you'd get much of the pop but none of the yellowing by dyeing, sanding back, and going to lacquer or a wb topcoat. Sanding takes out the color from the nonporous areas and leaves it in the curliest parts.

Thank you for the replies.

I just used a wb-acrylic on a maple bowl where I wanted to keep the color as white as possible. I'm happy with the color, but it does look plasticky. I'll post a pic in the next day or two.

Blonde or super blonde shellac should pop the grain without changing the color.
    I was sad because I had no shoes,
    Then I saw a man who had no feet
    ================================
    If you do today what no one else will,
    You'll do tomorrow what no one else can

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Schaewe View Post
    I just used a wb-acrylic on a maple bowl where I wanted to keep the color as white as possible. I'm happy with the color, but it does look plasticky. I'll post a pic in the next day or two.
    That is because it is plastic!!

Just ribbin' ya!! I do look forward to seeing the piece. I almost got a can of that finish, and backed off. It will be good to have yours for a test run.