Thread: A question for John K. - satisfaction with 2 different turnings?

A question for John K. - satisfaction with 2 different turnings?

I was thinking about your last 2 turnings.......the copper necklace and the beaded walnut hollow form..........

I know you had an artists statement with the beaded work, but I was wondering which of the two you found most satisfying to work on and complete. I am sure that each has its own allure.

The copper necklace had its challenge with the ring........but it is a HF, which form you have pretty much mastered [from most eyes viewing it] and the SW inspired HF has all those beads which in your statement has a lot of symbolism.

As far as the turning {techiniques, finishing, etc} which did you find the most rewarding, and the most challenging?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, I have long since decided that I approach this turning thing so much differently than do most. I do not find the act of turning (making curlies or chips) to be all that satisfying.

I do, however, love the process of coming up with an idea, developing a plan, sketching if needed, and seeing it to completion. That is the same process I used in flatwork. I did not build from a set of project plans developed by someone else, or copy a particular piece of furniture. There may have been elements of a style or particular piece that I incorporated into my hybrid plan, but I always developed my own plans.

For me, the ability to have unlimited artistic expression, and the ability to complete that in short order - relative to a flatwork project, are what keeps me on the round side.

To your original question, "which of the two you found most satisfying to work on and complete" - each of those turnings fulfilled the need to do something different.

Neither of them were particularly difficult turnings. The Copper Necklace is a far more refined piece, and the outcome was much better, IMO.

The beading on the War and Peace was not perfect, and for me, that really takes away from the process for me. However, I do enjoy developing the icons to present a story or theme, and making the "math" work involved in having the design repeat accurately around the form. All of that must be worked out before one goes very far with the turning.

So, I guess The Copper Necklace, more for the result than the process, since I enjoyed that part equally well on both pieces. It was technically more challenging, with more unknowns - the copper effect. While I thought I knew what the copper would look like, I really wasn't sure.

The War and Peace did involve the curved surface, and I knew that would be more difficult. But, the overall look came out as planned.

Hope that rambling answer was sufficient.

Thanks John,

My thought originally was that perhaps since you had seemingly mastered the hollow form, that it might no longer present a challenge to you, and that perhaps the difficulty with the beading and the coloration of the beads in order to tell the symbolism might have at least intrigued you a bit more, making it maybe a bit more something you desired to pursue.

Your explanation above was more than what I expected to hear from you..........it seems design, creativity and problem solving to achieve your ends gratifies you a little more than doing the turning work.

I ask questions like this, because I want to have an understanding of the thought processes and approach an artist turner has compared to the one a utilitarian turner has. Finding what distinguishes one from another could be a key in discovering which direction I might want to take in the future. Just something I have been keeping somewhere in my thinking that surfaces from time to time.

Thanks for your response............and if you care to add anything or see something in my rationale for posing this question in the first place......then fire away! I always like to understand...........and not every artist is willing to share on the level you have..........thanks again!

Interesting thread. I do not do as much detailed planning as John (and I admit that it shows), but probably still have more pleasure in the execution. But I do agree that, as an artist, planning is as important, and as gratifying, as the work itself. I used to paint and I know that the paintings for which I did preliminary sketches always turned out better.

Being 'in the zone' while turning (or painting for that matter) is a great feeling and my wife says that I am much more at peace since I started turning. I always have a plan (albeit mainly in my head) before I tackle a blank and know what form I want and what decoration I plan.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Good observations Thom,

Understanding the planning process and deciding the end result before one begins is I think part of what separates a successful artist turner from someone who just enjoys turning.

Of course, success is defined differently for different people, but I think all of us who do this craft are able to recognize excellence when we see it. I think one of the main goals every turner should have is to enjoy his pursuit.......if artsy stuff frustrates and does not bring a sense of satisfaction, then utilitarian pieces might fill that void for some.

I have not done enough in the area of artsy, to know what it is that sparks me, and captures my imagination, altogether. I am sure I want to do some utilitarian turnings, and on occasion I believe that I will want to do an art piece.........one thing for sure, if one does not reach for excellence, then it is a sure thing that he will never achieve it!

the surest way to fail is to not try ............... and i find that completely unacceptable