Thread: The shop floor is reeeel slippery!

The shop floor is reeeel slippery!

O.k, o.k...I messed up! When I painted the floor with the bright white epoxy paint I had the option to mix the provided sand with the paint. But NO!!... I didn't want to do that!!!

Do any of you guys have a quick fix other than another coat of epoxy paint? The floor is a dream to sweep though!

Just reeeeel slippery!!

Harv

Clear the shop out and do a bunch of welding in different areas...
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Ghesser View Post
    O.k, o.k...I messed up! When I painted the floor with the bright white epoxy paint I had the option to mix the provided sand with the paint. But NO!!... I didn't want to do that!!!

Do any of you guys have a quick fix other than another coat of epoxy paint? The floor is a dream to sweep though!
    Just reeeeel slippery!!
    Harv

If you think it's slippery now, just wait until you get a fine layer of SAWDUST on it.

Maybe you will have to just cut some of that rubber Drawer liner rubber and glue it on the bottom of your shoes, since it is kinda sticky.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

you could try and scuff it up with a floor sander

Go to your local Woodcraft and buy the anti-fatigue mats. Put them all over your shop. My local Woodcraft has them on sale in bundles of 3 nearly all the time. They cost a fortune through the website for whatever reason. Anyhow, just wait for them to go on sale, or just ask the owner to cut you a break for buying a ton of them. That'll solve two problem at once I have them all over the shop, and they work great. They're also easier than you'd think to clean.

Welding will do it but first I'd check with the manufacturer to see if you can do another coat and put the sand in it this time. The mats will work but if you are like me, you'll step on that one spot you didn't cover, slip, and get hurt.

+1 for the anti-fatigue mats.

I found some for free at the end of my neighbors driveway and tried them out. I major difference.
    Not only for the grip, but the relief on my back and feet as opposed to the concrete is amazing.

I know HF has them going on sale soon for something like $6 for (4) 25"x25" mats.

And they do clean quite easily as John said, much to my surprise.
    Last edited by james glenn; 01-04-2011 at 8:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Welding will do it but first I'd check with the manufacturer to see if you can do another coat and put the sand in it this time. The mats will work but if you are like me, you'll step on that one spot you didn't cover, slip, and get hurt.

I agree that mats have their place but you need to look for a systemic cure here unless you cover the entire floor. Matt's suggestion sounds like the best advise.

Some times at horse shows they bring mats and just leave them I picked up some for free.

Most of the epoxy mfgs. had a clear coat that can be applied over the color coat, that would be a good option for some slip additive.

You could just deal with it for a while. I did my floor 2 years ago, it was quite slippery initially but now 2 years later is is not. I can't really say exactly when it stopped being quite so slick but it's fine now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Some times at horse shows they bring mats and just leave them I picked up some for free.
    Hi Jerome. Medina? You mean it hasn't been swallowed by Akron or Cleveland.

Yes, I have heard of people getting mats from horse shows. But to be a little more sanitary, Many/all farm supply stores like Tractor Supply have the mats, and they will last you nearly a life time.

I reserve the right to make fun of northern Ohio since I spent the first 39 years of my existence in the Akron Area.
    Best Regards, Ken