Thread: BLO and what else

BLO and what else

I've never used BLO before, but really like the way it pops the figure in maple. What is the best, or at least a good, finish to put on top to get a little shine.

David - on cherry and walnut, I often use a very light wipe of BLO, then come back 30 min later with padded-on shellac. Extra pale / ultra blonde / etc. on the cherry, garnet on the walnut.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

David,

What is the project? Table top? Raised panel? It matters a ton what we might suggest.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Blog Entries
    Proper top coat will vary with purpose. If this is a low wear item like an end table or a picture frame, I prefer shellac. To be frank, I prefer dewaxed shellac whenever I can use it. For high wear areas (like shelves that get a lot of on and off type use) or where resistance to chemicals is required (like a bar top where alcohol could be spilled or a vanity where fingernail products might be present) a varnish or even a poly type topcoat might be better. I tend to reserve poly for floors or yard tool handles myself but some folks like it as a topcoat on furniture.

Desktop 001.jpg Piece in question is a bigleaf maple desk top.

Nice piece!! I love the natural form. I'd go with a varnish like Behlen's Rock Hard. You will want to rub it out to get it smooth and to achieve the sheen you want. Thinning the varnish is the key to laying it down nicely with a brush but you will still need to rub it out to get rid of the inevitable dust nibs and thinning it will make rubbing/sanding a bit easier.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.