Thread: How to make my lines engrave thicker/wider?

How to make my lines engrave thicker/wider?

I design alot of parts in Millwrite and export the DXF into coreldraw then into lasercut 5.3. If your wondering why I do it this way it's because lasercut doesn't bring them in scale correctly otherwise. I am engraving an outline of the letters onto metal using the cut option. I need to make the outlined letters fatter or thicker. If I make the lines wider or thicker in coreldraw will the laser cut them as such?
    2004 Hardinge VMC 40" X 20" travels, 12,000 RPM
    Rabbit Laser 9060 60 watt Laser Cut 5.3
    Corel draw X5 Photograv, Millwrite 2000, AutoCad

Yes, in Corel, simply select the pen tool and make the lines wider (increase the points).

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Robert, I don't think that will work. Most lasers follow the centerline of a line or path when vectoring. If a wider line is used, (more than .003") then most of our lasers decide you want to raster it. I don't know what the Rabbit lasers do.

If by "fatter or thicker" you mean you want to "bold" the letters then you could consider the following in CorelDraw: a) convert text to curves b) use contour tool to offset the outline by .xxx" c) break contour group apart d) delete the original character outline.

I have a Chinese laser also. When I need to widen my lines or text, I just lift my lens ( focus )up till i get the desired thickness. I do this often when I'm making signs.

I favor Richard's solution. I've found that working out of focus is not always reliable.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rumancik View Post
    Robert, I don't think that will work. Most lasers follow the centerline of a line or path when vectoring. If a wider line is used, (more than .003") then most of our lasers decide you want to raster it. I don't know what the Rabbit lasers do.

If by "fatter or thicker" you mean you want to "bold" the letters then you could consider the following in CorelDraw: a) convert text to curves b) use contour tool to offset the outline by .xxx" c) break contour group apart d) delete the original character outline.
    I missed "the cut option", sorry. That will only work when rastor engraving.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green