Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shopnotes router mill.

New Shopnotes router mill.

Anyone see the router mill in the new issue of Shopnotes? Looks interesting. May have to put this on my long list of projects.
    Anyone with experience on a router mill. Do you see any issues with this design ?

Video link

http://www.shopnotes.com/issues/115/...machine-video/
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I looked at it a long time when I got the issue. I couldn't help but think that someone that would use it enough to make it worth the time to build probably either has or plans to get a Legacy Ornamental Mill, which has more functions. It also reminded me of the thing Craftsman used to make, forget the name.

It would be a cool project but it my eyes unless you don't value your time much OR have plenty of time and want the challenge it seems like the Legacy makes a lot of sense or just buy your legs from Osbourne et al.

I liked it as well

When I 1st got my mag and saw that jig I skipped all other pages and went straight to the article on the Mill. Allot of precision wood working going on there.

I like it............ allot

After seeing the vids on it I think I'd have to put a gear motor on that hand crank for the left to right router travel. Cranking that handle would drive me nuts.

The plans are in my to-do pile also, which is getting bigger every day
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

I guess my only issue is the size of the thing. At around 5 foot long, A lot of floor space for a tool not getting everyday use.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I think it looks great. There are a limited number of balusters which are fluted or twisted and I would be able to modify other balusters to give a larger selection. I have always lusted for the Legacy, but never could pull the trigger. I'll have to pick up a copy of Shop Notes.
    Richard

I have a Craftsman router device that's cable driven. I bought it used 30 years ago, and I still haven't used it.

I think that's awesome. A great substitute for the Legacy mill. I've always loved the shop made tools that shopmotes features. I've been debating on building the edge sander for years. Here's my only beef with the mill. I have a legacy, it does take up a lot of floor space and I rarely (but occasionally do) use it. With the amount of time and materials and frustration you'd have building this mill, you could easily buy the legacy... or a used one like I did. I've got $400 and 2 hours worth of driving invested in mine and it came with some extra gears and a bosch variable speed router. Kudos to the inventive and talented folks at shopnotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Hellmer View Post
    ] buy the legacy... or a used one like I did. I've got $400 and 2 hours worth of driving invested in mine and it came with some extra gears and a bosch variable speed router.
    Stealth gloat!

Wow, thanks for posting this. This thing is fantastic. Looks like a challange to build, but what I great machine. Thanks again.

Use-Enco.com has free shipping thru 1-31-2011 on orders over $25 (use code FSCJAN) and the 1" x 5 tpi Acme screw is on sale for $29. All the parts that Shop Notes staff bought from McMaster Carr cost me around $45 from Enco. I did have to order regular 1" sleeve bearings, since the discontinued the flanged type. I can adapt them easily. In fact, I plan to build this using the full 72" length of the screw, rather than cut it off at 55" like Shop Notes did.

I like it..a lot! I'll have to run up to the local bookstore to see if they this issue on hand. Too bad the router mill only moves in the X and Z axis. Perhaps some modifications could be made..like adding an xy table and vise.Oh Oh.. I can see yet another project in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    I have a Craftsman router device that's cable driven. I bought it used 30 years ago, and I still haven't used it.
    I've actually used this one (bought about the same time ago) but it's just collecting dust for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ewell View Post
    I've actually used this one (bought about the same time ago) but it's just collecting dust for now.
    What did you use it for? It seems like it would be mainly good for ornamental legs and lamp bases, neither of which I make.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Melvin Richards View Post
    What did you use it for? It seems like it would be mainly good for ornamental legs and lamp bases, neither of which I make.
    Yep, ornamental legs and such, plus it was used before I got a lathe for lathe type fabrications.
    Pain when it came to sanding though.
    You might also use it to run single flutes on tapered square legs in a pinch.

I suspect that for some, the journey is the reward - enjoying the process of creating a working machine. This would be the case for me, but I don't have a need for a router mill. Now, that mini-lathe that ShopNotes did a while back (I looked it up - issue 73), that is on my list.