Thread: Ducting Prices

Ducting Prices

I am doing some research on ducting and not living in the US I want to know where to look and what to look for. I need to work out if it is cheaper to use PVC or steel ducting in the US and where are some sites I could do some comparison costings from for both. I would also appreciate any comment between the two as in ease of install, problems etc. I know the old problem of static in the PVC but has it any other issues you have found or has the steel ducting got any. It is the steel I am totally unfamiliar with so any info on that would be much appreciated.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

For comparison pricing try this for all the PVC pipe and fittings:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#pvc-sewer-pipe/=agcpcq

On the left of the page there is a link to all the fittings. For what it is worth many of us buy our fittings from McMaster but buy the actually pipe locally, the lower price on fittings is not eaten up by shipping, pipe on the other hand is USUALLY available locally cheaper due to the cost of shipping 10' sections. In the US irrigation and landscape supply houses are often the cheapest places to by pipe locally.

Since I have never done anything but a cursory look at metal piping I will let others lead you to the best places to look but metal is more expensive, here anyway. Since it is late and nobody may respond until morning here you can use this site for a general look at metal ducting prices, not sure how the quality or price compares.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/ductwork.html

Look at Kencraft.com for sheet metal fittings. They also have plastic hose etc. They have 24 gauge snaplock pipe.

I do know that Oneida also sells ducting. Not having done any comparisons I can't say if they are cheap or not.

Chris,
    I just bought enough 6" pvc duct (thin-walled type) to serve 6 machines in a space roughly 20x20 and spent just over $600. I was able to buy everything locally, mcmaster carr's prices were less but with shipping it made more sense to get everything local. My only experience with metal duct work is the shock of the prices!
    Hope this helps,
    Jeff

The HVAC snap ducting works fine.
    As for the fittings, the best prices I've seen are here: http://www.kencraftcompany.com

Thanks guys. The issue we have here is no real HVAC industry hence no metal ducting available as a general rule. The AC guys use very large flexible stuff that is entirely unsuitable. Six inch PVC costs three arms and five legs to use but we have no choice and use the cheapest version of that. I was under the impression, mistaken as it turns out, that metal was cheaper to use in the US but it seems not. Back to the drawing board.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening