Thread: Jet DC1200C???

Jet DC1200C???

Ok, hopefully this will be the last question I have before I bite the bullet on my Dust Collection. Anyone have the Jet DC1200C Dust Collector? I have a line on getting a used one with a Dust Dog Canister filter for about $200 and wondering if it's any better than the HF Dust Collector in anyone's eyes. The Jet is 2 HP and the HF is 2HP but it my opinion I am sure the Jet would perform better right? And it has a 6" port already so it doesn't need to be modified like the HF would. I would have to run another 220 plug but no problem that I can see with that.

Anyone?
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

2. These two collectors are night and day. Buy it! (unless there is a Jet 3 HP for a similar price:-)

I originally purchased a HF 2HP but after upgrading the bags, and trying to optimize the dust collection in my Delta Contractors saw, I noticed a relatively new Jet 1200C for sale used and snapped it up. It is a complete beast compared to the HF. I sold the HF right away. Funny thing is some of the insulation material I had used to close off gaps in the sides of the ContrTS were sucked out of thier gap when I first hooked up the Jet. Made me jump, but the difference in suction from the HF was immense.

If you read Bill Pentz site, he praises the Jet/Powermatic products in certain ways. The Jet 12" impeller, 2 HP single stage DC is still not his optimum to keep filters clean but I think it is an absolute steal for $200 used and I believe a far better solution than the HF. This is a good savings while you wait to buy a better cyclone unit and can probably support 6" ducting. The inlet is a full 6", this blower seems to choke when run with just 4" hose on it, I initially ran an extra 4" port wide or half open when using the TS to keep the Jet happy.

The cons of this unit is the strong airflow stirs up a circular ring of dust in the lower bag when it is all to half empty and chips can get thrown up into the upper Filter to clog it and possibly damage it. I recommend you try a Thien seperator in the bag ring to tame this problem. The only other minor limitation is the outlet of the blower is an integral neck-down to 5" pipe without any connector. A very low possiblility is if you are looking to seriously modify this collector (very few would modify this area of it) then it would require some sheet metal cutting. Again, I doubt this would ever be your concern.

+1 on the Jet. It is a solid step up the DC ladder from the HF, especially with a canister filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    +1 on the Jet. It is a solid step up the DC ladder from the HF, especially with a canister filter.
    The canister is most likely worth over $200 by itself.
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps