Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Remotes for 220v Dust collector

I love Lee Valley and so am always checking their "what's new" section.

No need to remember to turn your DC on/off......220 and 110 available.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Blog Entries
    Frankly, I don't see a lot of benefit to a magnetic switch on a dust collector
    A good mag starter will have adjustable overload protection built in. A dust collector is often working at close to the motors rated horsepower, unlike a tool which doesn't draw heavy amps until you load it down. A dust collector is loaded down most when it is sucking a lot of air. And if you run it wide open, you may need more horsepower than your motor can deliver and it will overheat or blow a circuit. If you have a DC that draws 12 amps at full load and the motor has a service factor of 1.15, (both are stamped on the nameplate) you can safely run the motor while drawing 12 x 1.15 or 13.8 amps. So if your motor, without a starter's overload protection, is pulling just under 15 amps, the breaker won't blow and you have to rely on the motor's thermal protection (if it has it) to kick in to protect the motor. With a starter, you dial the overload to 13.8 amps and you are protected. If your motor does not have a service factor stamped on it, presume it is 1.00.

I vote for a low voltage (24 or 32 volt) control system. Put a switch on or above each machine and the low voltage wiring can even run inside the ducting if you wish. I reckon remote controls would be on par with tape measures in getting lost and by the time I found it I could have walked to the switch and turned it on.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening