Thread: ok,ok, now that i fixed it, USMC EGA

ok,ok, now that i fixed it, USMC EGA

we were in a rush deadline and as such, well here is the story

i hate to admit my mistakes until i fix um

the original slice carve had a knot in it that no matter how much i tried (epoxys, wood fillers) it just did not work in the piece, so i got out the material remover (4" 36 grit grinding disk) and basically turned the globe into a less than round feature. i was uncomfortable with it but the base people let us install it any way, welll
    we went back took it down returned it to the shop and through the miracle of tracing the perimeter with a profile cut and setting an index point i was able to put it back on the machine (camaster x3 408 with 10" gantry clearance) and remove the faulty world i then re-glued another block of walnut in place and re-machined the globe

whew, if you only can feel how scary this is!! well it is done so i am admitting it!
    but it is fixed and we will soon set it and the rope (now a 72" rope on a 60" machine that is another story) in place next week
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-06-2011 at 5:57 AM.

Breahtaking is the only description I have. Amazing work. It is a level of work I can aspire to reach. Thank you for sharing it with us.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by james mcgrew View Post
    i hate to admit my mistakes until i fix um
    whew, ....
    if you only can feel how scary this is!! well it is done so i am admitting it!
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

That what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.
    I wish you every success!