Thread: Vise Placement

Vise Placement

Hey all,

I have just finished my workbench. I wanted to add a photo but the photo I have is too large and I can't figure out how to attach it. Anyway, back to the topic:

My workbench has 3 sides of pegboard around it (meaning, I don't have an open left or right end, just the front). The dimensions of my workbench top are 32" deep by 87" in length. I added a standard mechanic style 4" Record vise on the right-hand side (I am left-handed) and now I would like to add a Lee Valley front vise to the mix. Initially, I was thinking of adding the new vise to the center of my workbench but I wanted to get some opinions first.

Option 1:

Move the mechanic's vise to the left-hand side and place the woodworking vise on the right (I use the mechanic vise way less and wouldn't mind placing it on the side that is more awkward for me to use as a left-handed guy)

Option 2:

Install the woodworking vise in the center and keep the mechanic style vise where it is (I do need to have both vise's installed so it isn't an option to remove it completely). I like the idea of having the vise in the center of my bench because it would allow me to have lots of room to work on either side of any piece of wood I have in the vise. A possible drawback would be the vise protruding about 3 1/2" from my workbench.

Can you guys provide some feedback? Should I mount it in the center? Or keep my vise's on the ends?

I bolted my small mechanics vise to a piece of 2x10 with a large cleat on the bottom so I can clamp it into my woodworking vise when I occasionally use it. I keep it on a shelf under the bench when not in use. I also mounted a 6" grinder in a similar manner.

My woodworking vise is on the left end of the bench and I am right handed.

+1 on making the mechanic's vise "portable" and stow it away when not in use... It worked for me for years until I acquired additional workbench space...

I agree with above comments. I would have the metal vise removable and place your wood vise towards the right end. Does your bench extend out from a wall or is it flush?

"What do you mean my birth certificate's expired?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Bosdet View Post
    I agree with above comments. I would have the metal vise removable and place your wood vise towards the right end. Does your bench extend out from a wall or is it flush?
    Thanks very much for the responses gentlemen,

I would have never thought to do that. It sounds like a great idea! Neil, my bench is flush with the wall. I will figure out how to post some pics and put them up. I would like to hear what you guys think anyway. Cheers!

Since your bench doesn't protrude from the wall, I would keep your vise 2-3 feet from the wall. You'll end up with many dings in the wall and bashed fingers if you put it right at the end. This is assuming I am envisioning your bench correctly?

I think I have figured out how to attach some photo's. What do you think guys? As far as the bench is concerned, I will likely build another workbench that will sit near the center of my shop. My dust collection is very rudimentary (hooked up to a central vac) and will be getting replaced once I have extra $$$$ for a proper DC system.

Any feedback/advice is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Adam Cormier; 01-07-2011 at 5:03 PM.

OK Adam. Couple of ideas:

1. If you're going to build a free-standing workbench (on rollers or not), I would be more inclined to have my wood vise on that one (or one on each if you want). You'll have more room to move around a project.

2. Pick up a cyclone lid and a large garbage can and put this in between your house vac and your machines. You can get rid of 98% (not an actual calculation) of wood waste this way and not load up your house vac every 3 minutes.

I would cut back the lower portion of one or both side walls. This would dramatically improve access to vises mounted at either end. while nice looking, your sidewalls are boxing you in.
    -bernie

Neil, I will either move the woodworking vise on to the free-standing bench or just see if I can come up with some extra $$$ to add one to it (I won't be able to have another free-standing bench for awhile as it will take me a long time to talk the wife in to losing her parking spot...lol)

Bernie, I need those sidewalls to support all of the heavy storage on top of my workbench (its the only place I have for storage in my garage). I do agree that it is definitely limiting my access to vises's, etc but hopefully when I am able to get a free-standing workbench in my garage it will solve those problems.

Adam-
    You could angle your 2x4 support on each side from outer top edge to the back. this would provide plenty of support for overhead storage especially if you use a plywood sheet on the outer side. this would cut your sides in half, still allow some pegboard room, but open up your ends for vise work.
    -bernie

Adam here is my work bench on wheels, it has a light above, & draws under it, Work Bench 5 011.jpg

Great looking setup you have there Dave. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking of installing an alarm to lessen the chance of my tools going missing but I like your idea way better!

Well, I decided to slide the mechanic's vise over and I installed a large Lee Valley quick release vise on the right-hand side. I ended up using 20" x 2" Eastern Maple for the jaws and I am pretty happy with it. I still have quite a bit of room between the two vises but will likely still build another stand-alone bench later on down the road when I have some extra $$$
    Attached Images Attached Images