Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalpa wood

Catalpa wood

Well, today is a day where myself and about 4 others from our local turning club are going to cut a northern catalpa tree. It is already down, and had to be removed because it was causing trouble for the well at this place.

I understand it is also known as "cigar tree" and has grain similar to ash. Diameter is about 20 inches and has double trunks of about 20 feet long. Should yield some turning wood for the guys.

Anyone know how catalpa is to turn. sand and finish?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Roger, ya know the rule, no pictures, it did not happen, but i will be interested in some pictures of your project, i have never turned any, and would like to see what it is all about, sounds like you will have plenty of wood

thanks for tempting us

Be interesting to see some of it turned Roger. Free wood is always good turning wood.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Blog Entries
    I think the Turner's Forum should institute a new rule...

Free wood is shared with everyone within a 150 mile radius.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Pics of Catalpa wood

Here are a few pieces of the Catalpa tree........on the way home I went to 3 stops and dropped off a few pieces at each place. We actually left some on the ground, and took away 2 pickup loads. This stuff has beautiful grain, and one of our guys said he did some research last night and saw furniture and gunstocks and a lot of other items made from it, so it should be nice.

IMGP2537.jpgIMGP2536.jpgIMGP2538.jpg

I turned it a few times, and didn't like it. Color was dark tan maybe, but not a color that sells well. It has a sweet smell to it that I wasn't sure if I really liked, or it was sweet to the point of making me nauseous. It cuts fine. When dry, it is very light in that when you pick it up, you expect it to be heavier. Just doesn't feel right.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I turned it a few times, and didn't like it. Color was dark tan maybe, but not a color that sells well. It has a sweet smell to it that I wasn't sure if I really liked, or it was sweet to the point of making me nauseous. It cuts fine. When dry, it is very light in that when you pick it up, you expect it to be heavier. Just doesn't feel right.

robo hippy
    Reed,

This is pretty heavy so I think it has a good bit of moisture in it. This tree is tight grained in the growth rings, so I am hoping the wood will be stable.

I plan on taking most of this to the turners club meeting on Saturday morning.......the other pick up load will be there as well, after a few pieces are taken for the guys who cut this morning, and we will spread the wood around to whoever wants some for their turning stock.

no anticipation zone

Quote Originally Posted by charlie knighton View Post
    Roger, ya know the rule, no pictures, it did not happen, but i will be interested in some pictures of your project, i have never turned any, and would like to see what it is all about, sounds like you will have plenty of wood

thanks for tempting us
    Yeah Charlie, I know! Seems like this is a no anticipation zone, only an after the fact zone, and that is only if you have pics!!!

What Reed said.

Wood carvers like the stuff tho'.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I think the Turner's Forum should institute a new rule...

Free wood is shared with everyone within a 150 mile radius.
    Dan,

If you are willing to come and get it, then I certainly am willing to give you a few pieces! Actually, I am taking my load to the turners meeting to give it away on Saturday.........come by and pick up a few. PM me, and I will give you info!

Roger,

I like Catalpa, it does end up very light so you can turn a little thick and it still not be heavy. Here is a link to one I did about 4 years ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Bowl&highlight=

Steve

12. Quote Originally Posted by steven carter View Post
    Roger,

I like Catalpa, it does end up very light so you can turn a little thick and it still not be heavy. Here is a link to one I did about 4 years ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Bowl&highlight=

Steve
    Thank you Steven! I am liking what I see! That is a great bowl you turned!

Some people call it white walnut. It sometimes has the same look, though lighter in color and weight. Heck, if I was closer, I'd come get some. I'm thinking back to many, many years ago. I think we used to call this a lady cigar tree. In fact, we might have smoked some of the "cigars".

14. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Madden View Post
    Some people call it white walnut. It sometimes has the same look, though lighter in color and weight. Heck, if I was closer, I'd come get some. I'm thinking back to many, many years ago. I think we used to call this a lady cigar tree. In fact, we might have smoked some of the "cigars".
    Richard,
    When I was a kid we called the "Monkey Cigar" trees. I guess that was because you had to be able to climb like a monkey to get up there and get one while hanging on the tree. Who knows?!! The guy who had this one on his cabin property is a college professor and wood turner, so from what I hear he is pretty reliable in his knowledge about things like this, and he says Catalpa.

15. I turned it one time... a fairly large bowl. One thing I can tell you from my experience is that every single piece of metal in my shop that the curls/moisture touched ended up rusted like acid had been poured on it. The wood is very soft and prone to tear-out. But I will say that when I finally got it finished up it looked pretty nice (the wood, that is).