Thread: Aggravation Game Board - Father & daughter project

Blog Entries

Aggravation Game Board - Father & daughter project

My daughter came home across the New Year holiday and stayed this past week. Prior to her visit she asked about making a game board with Chinese checkers on one side and the marble aggravation game on the other with a place to store the marbles and dice. After looking at a lot of designs on the internet and developing cad layouts for eh two game hole patterns, I designed a two sided game board with an internal marble storage area. We built this together this past week. I did most of the woodworking and she did the painting and finishing. She drill most of the marble holes. My drill press didn't have enough throat depth to reach the interior holes so I had to devise a drill stop for the countersink bit we were using that would exactly match the depth of the outside holes on the remaining interior holes. The door on one side opens to allow you to get out or put back the marbles. It is held closed with two embedded rare earth magnets. It was a fun project. If you plan to build one of these purchase your marbles first. DAMHIKT.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I like it Lee. Last year my three girls came home for Christmas, we made "tater bins". It was a bit too much for them, took most part of a week and then I had to put the finish on them afterward. I think maybe next year "game boards" maybe a good Christmas project. How long this this take you? Heres a pic of the "tater bins".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Plane Anarchist

Blog Entries
    I think it took about an hour to make the parts and fine tune the fit. Another hour to do the two glue ups. I glued the frame first, cut in the door and then set in the panels. Finishing took the longests as we put shellac on all sides, then did the painting aided by tape on one side at a time followed by two coats of water based poly over teh shellac and paint. Maybe 4-5 hours total.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute