Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Introduction and a couple of questions.

it is the same as the hsd 1hp which i have burned out and would not reccomend either for a machine of this size, we have these as actuator spindles on edgebanding machines worn a plenty out!! the pc 690 for routing .25 to .375 per pass at 100 - 250 ipm will do well, expect less from a light spindle

i have reason to believe there are multiple personalitys on forums with the anonomus nature when compared to sawmill creek. some of the antics allowed there would not fly here on the creek,

i would like to add that andy purchased his the right way as i understand it you went and retrieved your machine,
    Last edited by james mcgrew; 05-09-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I agree you've got a nice machine and it's WAY too far into it to even try and change your mind. My purpose in drawing the comparison wasn't for you nearly as much as for someone reading along trying to figure out, "if I'm starting from scratch, what do I need and how much is it going to cost me... will I save by building my own/building from kit/buying a turnkey system" Thus... the apples for apples.

And, no... there are too darn many variables to get a 100% apples to apples... and there are the incalcuables... like, 'do I like the process of the build', 'is my $$ worth more than my time' and so on.

So, I'm not knocking you at all. Yours was just a different path, Sir.

BUT... just to clarify... the $6400... you don't need to buy a 1hp spindle and VFD... you get a 'spindle' even if it's a PC router. That PC router will cut just fine. You don't need the T-Slot table. Especially not at this size. T-slot in MDF, bolting strait to MDF, or (like me) T-nuts pocketed into the bottom of a piece of MDF is just as handy... even more so if you bury a bit into the table the first time you turn it on.

The long and short of it, you're into it for almost $6000 and a turnkey machine... like the entry level stinger... is just over $6000.

Is it worth building your own... absolutely, if that's what you want. Again, I'm not knocking you. I'm just trying to shine a little light on the process for someone (like me months ago) who is agonizing over which path to take.

Long time since I've last posted on this thread but I made a little video of my machine cutting a vacuum jig for a part I'll be making and I thought y'all might be interested in viewing. I'll probably continue adding videos as I do interesting things.

Comments welcome...

http://youtu.be/voXPa9JtsVA