Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Four drawer storage bed critique

Four drawer storage bed critique

I am designing a four drawer full size storage bed. My idea so far is to make it in two sections, one for the head and one for the foot with two drawers to each section on the right and left sides. The bolt the two sections together when it is in place. I intend to build a mostly open case cabinet structure and then add slats to the top to carry the mattress.

I would like to paint the completed sections before moving them to the room also. I intend, so far, to leave the plywood edges raw and shellac and paint the entire thing. I have never painted anything I have made so I am not sure it will work out.

I haven't drawn in the drawers yet, but I am thinking basic plywood boxes with full extension slides, no pulls but leave a longer lip on the under side of the drawer to use as a pull. The drawer faces are also meant to overlap the plywood ends completely, down from the top stretchers to overlapping the toe kick maybe an inch.

storagebed.png
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks good so far.

I've never understood why folks use slats to support the mattress. Why not just turn that top frame into a sheet of plywood? You get support for the mattress, and easier construction. Also, the construction you've diagrammed might be a little weak. Consider a heavy person who sits on the edge of the bed, above the middle of a drawer. Really, all that's supporting him is a 1x6 that's over three feet long. It will certainly sag a lot, and might even break. If he were sitting on the edge of a full sheet of plywood, he wouldn't be able to break it.

Really the only reason for not using a solid sheet is weight. I agree that there may not be enough support over the drawers though. Maybe a vertical support at the front edge would strengthen it enough? I neglected to mention that the white sections would be hardwood, most likely beech or oak.

Blog Entries
    It is a good idea to make it in two separate sections. I made a similar four drawer bed support for our bed and made it all one piece for a queen size bed. In addition to handling the weight of the whole assembly, I had to remove the vanity from the bathroom to get the bed frame into our bedroom after it was built. Mine has face frames on the side and raised side rails to keep the mattress centered. I used 1/4" luan for the top cover and have had no support issues in 25+ years. LOML and I both love the extra storage room it provides.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Looks good so far.

I've never understood why folks use slats to support the mattress. Why not just turn that top frame into a sheet of plywood? You get support for the mattress, and easier construction. Also, the construction you've diagrammed might be a little weak. Consider a heavy person who sits on the edge of the bed, above the middle of a drawer. Really, all that's supporting him is a 1x6 that's over three feet long. It will certainly sag a lot, and might even break. If he were sitting on the edge of a full sheet of plywood, he wouldn't be able to break it.
    According to the mattress manufacturers, it's necessary to provide ventilation to the mattress. They require a box spring, except for a few mattresses specifically designed for use on a platform bed. The cynic in me says it's all BS and the mattress manufacturers just want an additional sale (the box spring).

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Boegen View Post
    According to the mattress manufacturers, it's necessary to provide ventilation to the mattress. They require a box spring, except for a few mattresses specifically designed for use on a platform bed. The cynic in me says it's all BS and the mattress manufacturers just want an additional sale (the box spring).
    I agree that the box spring is just the additional sale, and serves no functional purpose. Platform beds work just fine. Just think about every other upholstered thing you rest your weight on -- arm chairs, sofas, car seats, you name it. None of them are anywhere as tall as the typical mattress plus box spring stack. But they work just fine. Heck, you're horizontal on a bed, spreading your weight over a large area, so the required support thickness should be even less. But manufacturers keep making the stack taller. Nowadays, a typical mattress has grown to be a foot thick! Heck, when I go camping, I'm sleeping on a thermarest that's less than two inches thick, and it is fine.

i built one of these quite a few years back for a rather large individual bed was queen size ............. instead of the way you have designed the split in the base unit i split it lengthwise w/ 3drawers per side and topped it with 3/4 ply sanded and sealed i split it length wise for 2 reasons 1) ease of handling (i could move it by myself at the time) it goes thru doorways easily 2) it beefed up the finished product without adding weight to each piece and was the best use of the sheet goods

(the person sleeping on it weighs between 400 and 500 lbs) bed has been moved quite a few times in the 18 or so years since i built it and its still as rock solid as the day i finished it the 2 halves have never been attached to each other and its never moved other than the plywood platform the whole thing is made from solid oak

I originally wanted to split it lengthwise, but there were two reasons I didn't. First, the bed has travel down a somewhat narrow hallway and make a left to get to the room in which it is going. I never measured, but it looked like it might be tight. The other reason was that I didn't want the seam at the bottom of the bed to show. I just couldn't figure out a way to avoid the large vertical seam, so instead I hid most of it behind drawer fronts, and the part I couldn't hide will be minimized as much as possible. This bed will actually be for a three year old child (there was an unused full sized mattress already, so no sense in buying a smaller one), but who knows what kind of weight it may have on it at some point with kids jumping on it etc.

I've built platform beds with drawers, and, like Don, split them head-to-foot. I include a footboard and a headboard in the design, mostly because I like the look. They attach from the inside, so there are no visible fasteners, and they cover the split between the platform pieces.

Our old waterbed had the drawers split down the middle (lengthwise) with 3 drawers on each side. One nice feature was that the end of the bed actually had about a 6 inch overhang compared to the base, which was nice when it came to walking around it and making the bed. It gave room for your toes, kind of like a toe kick on a kitchen cabinet.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Kaslikowski View Post
    Really the only reason for not using a solid sheet is weight. I agree that there may not be enough support over the drawers though. Maybe a vertical support at the front edge would strengthen it enough? I neglected to mention that the white sections would be hardwood, most likely beech or oak.

Break the sheet into 2 or 4 pieces. That way you get the mattress support and can handle the size/weight of the pieces.

I agree with Jamie - 3/4 thickness spanning 35 inches is not going to support much weight, even if from dense hardwood. Lose some height of the drawer front by using something like a 1x3 across the top of the drawer opening. You won't lose much in the way of actual storage space since folks mostly store bedding in their bed...which is compressible.

The other thing I'd think about is legs instead of a platform base and legs with adjustable height feet. Those cheap metal bed frames don't need adjustable height feet because they just flex to match the irregularity of a floor. Your design won't be so accommodating of a warped floor. Be sure to put a leg in the middle where all 4 drawers touch each other.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I've built platform beds with drawers, and, like Don, split them head-to-foot. I include a footboard and a headboard in the design, mostly because I like the look. They attach from the inside, so there are no visible fasteners, and they cover the split between the platform pieces.
    How did you attach your footboard? I thought of using T-nuts or hanger bolts, but was somewhat worried about how robust either of those solutions would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Kaslikowski View Post
    How did you attach your footboard? I thought of using T-nuts or hanger bolts, but was somewhat worried about how robust either of those solutions would be.

I've used several different ways.

One way is to put brass threaded inserts in the inside face of the footboard (for instance http://www.mcfeelys.com/product/3606...hreaded-Insert). Machine screws go through the wall of the the drawer enclosure into the inserts. If the screws are 1/4-20, nothing's coming apart. (I like to include cleats or locating pins or something to loosely align the footboard while I'm reaching around inside to insert the screws.) If you want, you can use connector bolts. They have a nice big flat head, and the hex drive keeps the screw on the driver while you're inserting it. (for instance http://www.amazon.com/Stafast-Produc.../dp/B003F0730M)

To make the bed assemble without tools, I've used trunk latches. Here are two pics of the attachment of a footboard to the drawer enclosure. They're shot from the same camera position. You can see that the trunk latch is hidden behind the closed drawer front. Trunk latches are also sometimes called draw latches or spring latches. The pictured ones probably came from McMaster-Carr.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-12-2011 at 1:16 PM.

One other thought.... I like to be able to sit on the bed to tie my showlaces. That sets the overall height of the bed. I also want to get as much storage space under the mattress as I can. Between those two needs there's the thickness of the mattress. If you go to a standard mattress place, they'll try to sell you mattresses that are 12 or 14 inches thick, leaving little room for drawers. Instead, go to Ikea. They have a nice line of mattresses that aren't that thick. They also say specifically they're good for platform beds, so if you believe the assertion that there's something different about platform bed mattresses, they've got you covered. My current mattress is one from them that is about 5 1/2" thick, and it is fine. Ikea's prices are also very reasonable.

The nearest Ikea is about 6 hours away. =)

I am shooting for a 24" height with the mattress. I don't know how that works for tying shoes, but it seems to work on the rest of my beds, so I just went with it.

PS, the pictures of your bed make my effort feel pretty weak. We live in a log house, so I am going to paint the bed for contrast (all of the interior is t&g pine), but its hard not to wish that I could build something that nice someday.