Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four drawer storage bed critique

Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Kaslikowski View Post
    .... We live in a log house...
    Hmmm. How flat is the floor? A chest bed is a rigid structure with a big footprint. Like Tim mentioned above, you might want to include levelers, for instance ones like these http://wwhardware.com/catalog.cfm?Gr...uty&showprod=1
    There are levelers with heads or slot so you can adjust them from the top. And there are ones with different stem lengths.

You could hide them inside the drawer enclosure, and get access to them by removing the drawers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jozef Kaslikowski View Post
    I would like to paint the completed sections before moving them to the room also. I intend, so far, to leave the plywood edges raw and shellac and paint the entire thing. I have never painted anything I have made so I am not sure it will work out.
    I'd recommend that you not leave the plywood edges that will be "uncovered" when the drawers are open raw. Edge 'em with hardwood. This isn't an appearance concern, it's a durability thing, especially since this will be the bed of a young boy (aka Destructor the Younger). If you don't edge it, things will catch on the plywood, they will tear at it, shred it, pull splinters (which will end up in toes and fingers and such nonsense).

I haven't drawn in the drawers yet, but I am thinking basic plywood boxes with full extension slides, no pulls but leave a longer lip on the under side of the drawer to use as a pull. The drawer faces are also meant to overlap the plywood ends completely, down from the top stretchers to overlapping the toe kick maybe an inch.
    Use pulls. A lip on the bottom edge of the drawer will be blocked far too easily, and requires stooping further than a pull would require. Also, a lip encourages yanking on the drawer far off center, which can have less than satisfactory outcomes. Curved pulls without open ends would be best, to avoid snaggers.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I did edge all of the plywood with hardwood strips. That was a much bigger pain than any of the rest of the construction. But I did finally finish it after several late nights. I didnt see the the advice about the pulls until I had already painted.

Also, I failed to let the wood get dry enough and there were some shrinkage issues, so I had to add some edging on the side rails. They also sagged, so I had to reposition the drawer fronts to let the drawers close smoothly. Additionally, I would cut the narrower plywood with my circular saw or a crosscut sled, I did it with my miter gauge and ended up straightening the cuts again with an edge and circ saw. In the end this bed is very solid and the whole family has been on it at the same time with no issues. Thanks to everyone for the input and hopefully I will do even better next time.

If I had it to do over I would do several things differently. I would definitely go with a footboard as I dont like how the drawer edges show.

bedfin.jpg

i like the ideas shared, thanks.

I am looking for some opinions/criticisms. I found this storage bed picture on line a while ago and unfortunately I cannot find it any longer so I cannot credit the original builder. What do you guys think of this design?
    img_0686_2000.jpg
    I am planning to to reproduce it with some modifications. Queen size, 4 drawer only, 29"x29"x9" each with the 2 remaining spaces (~18") by the head just covered as it will be blocked the my night tables. What do you think of using particle board for these drawers?
    Last edited by Ron Michael; 09-07-2013 at 2:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Michael View Post
    I am looking for some opinions/criticisms. I found this storage bed picture on line a while ago and unfortunately I cannot find it any longer so I cannot credit the original builder. What do you guys think of this design?

I am planning to to reproduce it with some modifications. Queen size, 4 drawer only, 29"x29"x9" each with the 2 remaining spaces (~18") by the head just covered as it will be blocked the my night tables. What do you think of using particle board for these drawers?
    I'd break it into two subassemblies, with the break running head-to-foot down the middle of the bed. The reason is that as pictured it is a big thing. It will be heavy to move, and may not go through doors or up stairs.

Here is my final version of the queen storage bed. The headboard and the night stands are my original bedroom set.

The bed frame (2 half bolted together) including the drawers made from a nice plywood and the bottom of draws is particle board. Foot board and drawers face is solid pine.

Initially I was a little concerned of being able to match the existing (30 years old) bedroom set finish. However, I am very happy with the results and my wife cannot tell the difference.

bed1.jpg bed2.jpg SANY1615.jpg

They look really good, Ron, and very functional. It looks like you matched the headboard very well.

(As an aside, those headlights would spook the heck out of me. What if they spontaneously came on at the wrong time ? I'd imagine I was still in High School at Lookout Point.)

This is my approach to the same size bed. I used 3 single drawers and the bed pieces can be reversed depending on what side of the room the bed is placed. Regarding slats vs. sheet, I've always used 3/4" slats for air flow. Can't prove it is better but that is what is recommended by several design experts.

Doug