Thread: Installing a motion activated light switch

Installing a motion activated light switch

Hi. I am trying to replace a regular light switch with a motion activated light switch in my shop. The existing light switch has a red wire, two black wires and neutral wires. The motion detecting light switch has two black wires and a neutral.
    Two questions:
    I am not sure what to do with the red wire on the existing switch. How does that connect to the motion detector since it doesn't have a red wire?
    Also, the two black wires on the motion detector are not labeled hot or neutral... does it matter which black wire gets hooked up to the existing wire.
    This is the moition activated switch I am trying to install: http://solutions.cooperwiringdevices...witch&id=18450

Thanks!

If you're switch has a red, 2 blacks and a white you most likely have a 3 way switch, is their another switch in the shop that controls those same lights? If so you're probably going to want to get a 3 pole motion switch in order to make everything play nice and save yourself a hot of headache.

Agreed, you'll note that that motion switch comes in two flavors, regular and 3-way.

The other option is to just abandon using the other switch.

Actually abandoning the other switch might be a good thing... then my family won't keep turning off the other switch....
    How would I safely hook it up this way? Thanks

Man, I would never install a motion switch if it was applicable to all light sources. Last thing you need is the lights going out while you're working.

I can override the sensor when I am working. Thanks

If you're going abandon the other switch you need to figure out where power comes into the circuit. You've got 3 choices really....the light fixtures, switch 1 and switch 2. Once you figure out where the power comes in post back and that will make it much easier explaining what you're going to need to do, based on where the power comes into the circuit there are at least a half dozen different ways it could be safely hooked up.